Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Annoying Vocalizations

Our F3 female, Sheba, is five months old. We have had her for a month. We expected and were prepared for savanndalism, but not for the blood-curdling screams that awoke us at 4:00 AM today. Sheba was making noises that I would not have surprised me if she was being disemboweled by a wolf. She had her feather toy in her mouth and was dragging it from one room to the other. We think that she was asking for play-time. This is the first time she has made such terrible sounds.

My thoughts, inspired by what I learned in Psych 100, are that we should not reward this type of behavior by giving her what we think she wants. Any other thoughts on the matter?

John Popp

Site Supporter
Play with her before you are doomed.

I've had this behavior with a number of cats and they were all especially skilled at finding the spot in the house that reverberated the most and amassed the largest feline sonic event.

Without fail any time I have caught them in the act they generally have a toy in their mouth or something they believe to be a toy. On a few occasions we have been blessed with a bug or a bird (still no idea how they managed to get a bird).

While largely ignored, I can count on nearly each day having some offering made to the ape servants. Whether it be on the bed or near the foot of it, there will always be a toy dropped off.

For the life of me I just can't figure it out. I give them delicious ground up bones and organs and in return I get some fur covered, drool soaked toy mouse.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Ummm, you have a savannah! They do stuff like that. Expect, the unexpected. Vocalizations are included.
She might have been making a sound to intimidate her toy, or intimidate any other cat from taking it from her.
Five month old? They need a lot of playing. JP is correct. Play with her. A lot. This is what they do.;)
I can't help but think you have a real live wire in that cat!

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
Every time my Russian Blue starts howling, I have found that she has carried another lizard into the house. As soon as she sees me, she opens her mouth, and then the lizard escapes. I now have a styrophom cup that I wrote lizard on for catch and releasing it back outside. Sue

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki yowls to get either our attention or Jammu's. It is the only time that she makes a meow-type of sound and unlike her normal chatter-noises, this one is LOUD. I have found that if we do not respond, it gets louder and more frequent. And yes....it always seems to mean that she wants to play NOW.

Is your girl spayed?

Good question, in the light of new information.

A feral male cat took up residence in our garage. We chased him away over the weekend, however, my wife, Boni, stepped in a pool of his urine accidently and soaked her sweat socks. Sheba got a wiff of it from Boni's socks and hands. The vet told us today that he thinks that Sheba is in heat.

It seems remarkable to me that a kitten could have her reproductive cycle triggered as a result of this olfactory encounter with a male. Oh well, better living through chemistry. The vet says we can't have her spayed for two weeks. He says that her behavior is typical of a cat in heat.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Good question, in the light of new information.

A feral male cat took up residence in our garage. We chased him away over the weekend, however, my wife, Boni, stepped in a pool of his urine accidently and soaked her sweat socks. Sheba got a wiff of it from Boni's socks and hands. The vet told us today that he thinks that Sheba is in heat.

It seems remarkable to me that a kitten could have her reproductive cycle triggered as a result of this olfactory encounter with a male. Oh well, better living through chemistry. The vet says we can't have her spayed for two weeks. He says that her behavior is typical of a cat in heat.
Yes, that is why I asked.,..that is what it sounds like to me.

Anything like that can trigger a female to go into heat...not sure why you have to wait two weeks though,..that makes no sense!