Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anxious Savannah Owner

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Leopold goes in to get neutered tomorrow morning. I keep telling myself everything will be fine, but I'm still pretty nervous. Leo is my first pet that I can call solely my own, or he pretty much solely owns me. It doesn't help that my fiancee's sisters stray kitten died about 6 months ago after she had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. We are both pretty nervous because of what happened. Leo is almost 6 months and 9 pounds of fury.

Everything will be ok.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If you are able to, ask the vet to avoid using Ketamine - some Savannahs (and other cats) have had a bad reaction to it, and I'm guessing it is what was used on the kitten you lost six months ago... This doesn't mean that you can't use Ketamine - there have been many, many cats successfully altered using Ketamine (including some of mine), but it only takes one bad reaction to make you leery of it. Propofol is an acceptable alternative as an induction agent. There is also a newer one out there as well, the name of which completely escapes me right now... :uh oh:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, as Patti says avoid the ketamine. The issue with this (and I learned this working on rats in a laboratory) is being injected, if the dosage is wrong for that individual (as % fat can influence how much is free in the system) then when it is an overdose all you can do is try to maintain breathing until the drug is worked out of the system. With an inhalable anesthetic if it is too much sedation, simply removing the mask reverses the effect. Much easier to avoid overdose!

Sometimes for neuters they might use an injectable called domitor, it's not nearly as worrisome as ketamine as it is short-acting and also there is a reversing agent so they can bring the animal out of sedation quickly.

So just check with your vet what drug will be used for your kitten! Good luck!