Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Any savannah outdoor cats?

wbrett1027

Savannah Child
Hi everyone, I have an f6 and I would really like to let it see the outdoors once it becomes a little older, does anyone have a savannah that is an outdoor cat??
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Do you mean go outside safely in an outdoor enclosure or on a leash or do you mean you want to make your Savannah an indoor/outdoor cat where it's lifespan will be shortened considerably due to the risks involved?

We don't recommend allowing your Savannah free access to the outdoors, it often ends tragically, but a safe enclosure can be a wonderful thing. My backyard is enclosed like a big aviary with shelves for the kitties and they love it... and there is cat proof fencing available for larger yards.

But it might depend on how much you value your F6 whether you would be devastated if it was lost to the outdoors or not...with all cats I think there is usually an initial ~50% attrition rate with death to cars, dogs, coyotes etc , if they survive and learn then they might well do okay, as long as nobody decides to take in your cat and give it a safer life (we've been contacted by people that have taken in SVs from the streets this way)...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If you mean taking him outdoors on a leash for walks then yes, lots of Savannahs go outdoors... otherwise as Brigitte explained, an outdoor life is not terribly conducive to survival...

wbrett1027

Savannah Child
Yes a Indoor outdoor cat, I had a cat before the savannah and it was a indoor outdoor cat, at about 18 years old it died, I don't have a enclosed fence or anything like that, curious if it would come back or if it would want to go wild completly, not so much worried about cars, or coyotes

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
An indoor/outdoor cat of any breed is subject to a shortened life. Not only are there the dangers mentioned above (cars, dogs, coyotes, theft, etc) there is also the risk of injury by another cat or animal or contracting diseases or parasites.

I would never allow my Savannah or any other cat to roam free. I've known of way too many cats that disappeared and were never seen again who were allowed to roam. I would be devastated worrying the fate...was my cat taken in to another home; was he killed; did he get caught or trapped somewhere and starve or have injuries; and suffering a slow and painful death :( These are all very real dangers to cats who are not walked safely outdoors on a well-fitting walking jacket and leash or allowed out in a safe outdoor enclosure with an escape proof design with a top...as cats can and will jump over fencing. Your prior cat may have done okay living outside, but you must realize Savannahs are more curious and athletic than most other breeds...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Why would you not worry about cars or dogs? Do you not live by a street and have no other neighbors with pets? There have been Savannahs that have been shot by neighbors because they thought it was a wild animal...

wbrett1027

Savannah Child
I live in a country type area, large neighborhood, lots of woods, I guess my main concern was the savannah just running away doing it's own thing.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, that can happen as well. It has nothing to do with being a Savannah...it will not "turn wild" or feral...but by their sheer nature of being overly curious, he may wander far from home within a very short time and never return.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
You might want to check your contract with your breeder. The one I signed says that my kitties will only be indoor cats.

My three do go outside on a leash and harness, and love it. Diablo has even gone on a couple of short runs with me. Have you thought about leash training your kitten?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
A lot of the time when people assume the cat that went missing just didn't want to be in their home... the cat simply wandered and can't FIND its way home. They can't read signposts! And if a cat was intent on chasing a bird or rabbit or butterfly or all of them sequentially, they can easily roam far from eyesight of home.

One of my kittens escaped his owner's home years ago, he was found 2 weeks later 5 miles from their home!