Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody have experience with Rare Breed Exotics?

maximumkitty

Savannah Kitten
Good day/evening SVCatChat Community!

I have been taking advantage from the vast amount of experiences, information, and suggestions on this forum on/off for several months now and have learned an tremendous amount about the SV breed. I am normally quite the quiet type but with such a huge decision on my hands I wanted to ask the community for their opinions on this situation before I proceed.

I am looking forward to becoming a SV cat owner in the nearby future. I have the money saved up and just need to find that perfect little kitten to join my family. No rush as i'm looking for the perfect balance of looks, love at first sight, reputable breeder and of course budget.

I believe all I can afford is an F3-F4 (although an F2 would be amazing) so my focus has been on finding a quality breeder in a price range I can afford for what I am looking for. I believe I have found a great deal from the Napa Valley breeder Rare Breed Exotics.

I have been in communication with the owner for a few days now and am ready to pull the trigger on a cute little F4 SBT male kitten(picture attached). I wanted to ask the community if anybody has experience with this breeder before. Aside from not showing up on some popular breeder listing websites(but they do show up on the tica pdf), everything points to a quality breeder with the SV's best interest in mind. Communication has been pleasant with the owner and it "feels" right. But it can't hurt to ask the community first!

So anybody ever hear of or deal directly with Rare Breed Exotics?

Thanks in advance

Max

Attachments

• 05957-27-14951.jpg
    05957-27-14951.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 41

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I may have heard rumors, but no direct dealings. It's not a breeder involved in the breed group or community.

My feeling is that if this kitten is calling to you, then that is what makes the kitten the "right" kitten. When you are looking for a pet that is the most important criteria, over looks and pedigree. It's best if you feel you have asked the right questions and gotten answers you are comfortable with..

http://www.kirembosavannahs.com/faq/KittenBuyersChecklist.pdf is a short article I wrote some time ago... there's a more extensive article on my website too but this covers the basics.

You mention wanting a reputable breeder...what would be the criteria for that? Buyer reviews? I would point out that listing on TICA's website merely requires a fee to be paid and is NOT an indication that TICA has in any way personally vetted that cattery. TICA registration of kittens is a good sign though!

maximumkitty

Savannah Kitten
Thanks so much for the information Brigitte.

Looks only go so far, supporting a breeder that has the SV's best interest in mind (and not their wallet) is whats most important to me. Obviously looks and budget play a major role in a huge decision like this, but they are not everything.

I don't know what I would consider a reputable breeder to be honest, I have not engaged in something like this before but I have done my research. And to be even more honest, if I felt 100% comfortable with all of the answers I have gotten and my experience so far - I don't believe I would be here asking for reviews.

I was scared to assume that the listing on TICA's website was simply a financial investment. I guess it's similar to the BBB of the corporate world.

Brigitte - you are amazing and so is this community. Thanks so much for the prompt response.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it interesting to think of how you decide a breeder has the SV's best interest in mind (and not wallet)...does this mean a breeder that doesn't charge high prices (when this might only mean their kittens are cheap for a reason), or does this mean a breeder that demonstrates they are committed to breeding to the breed standard and improving every generation born in their home?

What answers did you get that you weren't entirely comfortable with? Maybe this is useful, working out what that is that isn't quite right.

i hope we can help you...that's what most of the breeders on this forum participate for :)

MM3

Site Supporter
Thanks so much for the information Brigitte.

Looks only go so far, supporting a breeder that has the SV's best interest in mind (and not their wallet) is whats most important to me. Obviously looks and budget play a major role in a huge decision like this, but they are not everything.

I don't know what I would consider a reputable breeder to be honest, I have not engaged in something like this before but I have done my research. And to be even more honest, if I felt 100% comfortable with all of the answers I have gotten and my experience so far - I don't believe I would be here asking for reviews.

I was scared to assume that the listing on TICA's website was simply a financial investment. I guess it's similar to the BBB of the corporate world.

Brigitte - you are amazing and so is this community. Thanks so much for the prompt response.
Even with following the incredible informative guide that Brigitte has shared, one still can't tell for sure about the breeder. That's the scary part.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have never heard of Rare Breed Exotics so cannot offer a comment about them. Of course that doesn't mean that they aren't good, ethical breeders - the key is how to figure that out. There are a few things I would recommend asking for or about (if you haven't already):

Referrals from previous customers
Pedigree info (an A kitten will likely be less expensive than an SBT)
A copy of their contract
How do they socialize their kittens
What vaccines the kittens have received
Have the kittens had any illnesses

What kind of questions have they asked you? Have they talked to you about how to bond with the kitten, how to Savannah-proof your home, how to introduce other pets (if applicable), if you're going to let the kitten go outdoors, etc.?

maximumkitty

Savannah Kitten
Thanks Patti

I have not yet asked for referral but that is an outstanding suggestion
I was told he was a F4SBT and "once everyone is placed from a litter...registers them and has TICA paperwork sent to all buyers"
I have not seen the contract yet - I will also ask for that
The socialization seems to be great, dogs, other cats, kids and people (I have all of the above as well) and the interaction with kids was a huge selling point to me as I have a 4 month old.
A couple of my warning flags were regarding the shots and age of the kittens, but as we're still in communication I don't want to paint any picture that is not accurate so I'll have to update later on that point.

They have not asked too much about me, but I was also very informative in my initial email and mentioned I have done months of research on the breed (which I have).