Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Anyone Garden Here?

M

macmanmatty

I Run a small mainly edible plants nursery and Always have a good garden. Right now I am growing tomatoes peppers eggplant squash beans spanish melons and will soon plant watermelons. My garden is about 1/6 acre. I also grow many fruit trees including apples (yes they grow in zone 8b in north fl and not just the low chill ones) european pears, asian pears, avocados, plums, peaches, figs pomigranites, loquats, oranges, grapefruit . I have over 150 fruit trees planted of all kinds and varieties. My orchard is over 1/3 acre and I will be clearing land to start 1 acre orchard for fruit to sell. Does any one else garden or grow fruit trees I am always looking to trade seeds or scions.

A

Alice

Wow that is awesome! My Mom always gardened and I have in the past... the place I live now though everything dies! I can't keep anything alive here... I did have a couple rare cold weather orchids from Australia that were pretty awesome.... Until I got my cat :( I love pitcher plants too, but I'm not getting any more plants until I move. It would be great if I could find a place with a little land to grow things....

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
I use to love light gardening, until a person hit me in a MVA. My neck, shoulders and back can't garden anymore. That won't stop me from having someone else build me a mini orchard.

As a child, I spent some time living in the Okanagan on an orchard. So two years ago I sold my house in town and bought five acres. This year I went out looking for different fruit trees and my husband said he will start a small fruit tree garden for me next year.

A good idea if you don't have a place that seems to grow anything. Maybe raised garden boxes are your answer. With soil you put in there. I am going to get a few built here for the kids to grow simple things like carrots, lettuce and more.

I will have to fence in the garden boxes because we have deer everywhere. I have a couple cherry trees that are small and I hang light tin plates on the branches to make noise and reflect light. It keeps the birds and deer away from them.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I love growing plants, but they don't love me ;) I am going tot ry some tomatoes and lettuce this year and some mint plants in the cats' enclsoure...however, I plan on a garden as well, when I move...

Tamara sorry to hear about your accident, but glad your hubby is planting some fruit trees for you ;)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have a 3 x 3 raised planter in which I grow beans, lemon cucumbers, beets, peppers, eggplant & carrots and I use pots to grow tomatoes. I am really excited, however, because I am currently redesigning the landscaping in the backyard and I'm going to have a small greenhouse and bigger better raised beds built. I have no self control when it comes to planting and usually have a big enough yield to feed the entire neighborhood. I prefer growing heirloom varieties of veggies. And I'm addicted to growing herbs, love herbs, must plant a bazillion herbs.

Attachments

A

Alice

Very nice! I am so jealous.... I should be moving in a few months hopefully, so I'll wait and see what I can work with there... Be nice to have a little patio garden! If all else fails I'll go window boxes... We shall see....

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
I Run a small mainly edible plants nursery and Always have a good garden. Right now I am growing tomatoes peppers eggplant squash beans spanish melons and will soon plant watermelons. My garden is about 1/6 acre. I also grow many fruit trees including apples (yes they grow in zone 8b in north fl and not just the low chill ones) european pears, asian pears, avocados, plums, peaches, figs pomigranites, loquats, oranges, grapefruit . I have over 150 fruit trees planted of all kinds and varieties. My orchard is over 1/3 acre and I will be clearing land to start 1 acre orchard for fruit to sell. Does any one else garden or grow fruit trees I am always looking to trade seeds or scions.
It sounds like you have an impressive garden! I grew up in south florida so back at home we have mangos, oranges, grape fruits, loquats, tangerines and lots of the small variety bananas. Over the years we have also had tomatoes, broccoli, and several herbs. I had no idea pears, plums, peaches and apples could be grown anywhere in florida! Clearly they wouldn't grow in south miami though :).