Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone know Olympus Meadows cattery in NorCal?

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
Hello,
We've been reading this forum and been getting ready for our kitten hopefully next month. We think we've found a perfect little guy though priced more than we'd thought. I was hoping someone on here has done business with and can vouch for or otherwise comment on Olympus Meadows in Grass Valley, CA? Any info would be helpful!
Karen

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I have not heard of them, either. Is this breeder willing to let you speak to past kitten customers about their experience with them ?

I find it odd there are no pictures of the parents on the website, nor any descriptions of the kittens available, other than price, names of parents and adoption ready date....

Regardless of the breeder you choose, make sure the kittens are old enough to leave (12-16 weeks), are eating on their own and are litter box trained, have had at least two sets of vaccines, and at least one vet visit. Your breeder should also offer a health guarantee and kitten contract outlining that guarantee.

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
Hmm you make good points. I have now requested at least 2-3 references from past customers. The breeder has been really helpful and emailing me lots of details and videos, and I will be visiting their home this weekend. I was also looking at Aadnesen Savannahs in the Sacramento area - anyone familiar with them? They don't have any kittens at this time but overall also seem really helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks! Karen

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
I have... I was really set on somewhere local for us so we could actually go and see the place and the cats, parents, etc.. so that has really narrowed our choices. We're in Northern CA. There are a great many Southern CA places too but we were really hoping for somewhere within driving distance..
Years ago I got scammed on a "Chihuahua" from out of state and I honestly can't go through something like that again! The only breeders I am looking at are on the Savannahcat.com directory so I was thinking that was a good thing? Kind of more official than just Googling which I have not done!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I understand your caution. I am sorry you were scammed in the past.

Savannahcat.com is a good general guide to Savannah breeders, but not a guarantee any breeder is honest or sells healthy and well-socialized kittens. I know that breeders have been removed from that site due to complaints from customers. It's always best to research and ask questions about any new pet. Many people, including myself, have bought a kitten or cat sight unseen, and have to rely only on pictures, videos, and contact with the breeder, as well as gut feeling it is the right decision. I have never been disappointed in any of the kittens I have received without seeing them first! In every case, the kitten exceeded my expectations :)

Go ahead and Google any breeders, as well as look at their FB pages and photos of kittens and cats...and many breeders do ship for a fee, use a transport service, or allow you to fly in and take the kitten home on the plane with you.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have not heard of them, either. Is this breeder willing to let you speak to past kitten customers about their experience with them ?

I find it odd there are no pictures of the parents on the website, nor any descriptions of the kittens available, other than price, names of parents and adoption ready date....
I agree, the website was bare bones and essentially gave no information. I was also turned off by them using the term 'exotic Savannahs' when we've been working so hard for so many years to promote Savannahs as a domestic breed...

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
So it's been a long day! Thanks for all of your input, I really appreciate it. BTW I was unable to get references from this breeder from former kitten purchasers as suggested which really also threw up some flags.
Since then, I have been talking to Trish from AllEarz in NV and we're thinking of adopting her cutie Chad.. going to decide soon but his temperament and look seems perfect! I'll keep you posted! Karen