Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Are Breeders Just in it for the Money?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Many of us have heard how savannah cat breeders just raise savannah cats for the money!! Uh, I don't think so...Veterinary expenses, food expenses, litter expenses and massive amounts of time socializing properly = no money made in most cases and in some, loss of money.

But having now had my own litter of kittens, I would not trade it for the world, despite some of the hardships we had...just to watch the kittens grow from helpless little beings to interactive, wonderful, loving little souls who play hard and sleep hard and eat/poop/pee in between, is priceless.

Do you all think breeders are in it for the money?

admin

Paige
Staff member
besides the costs of vets, food, and your time, if you show then you have the costs of the shows, using your time from work to take your kittys to the vet or be there to help deliver kittens, etc.

I agree, Donna! I dont think I fully understood what was involved until I had my first litter of kittens...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Very good point, Shelby, there ARE a number of new breeders that have started in this HOBBY to make a profit...and usually they don't last the distance. I know that our accountant would like us to cut even JUST ONE YEAR! If I were a businesswoman I would have quit years ago.

So saying that, there are a few breeders that manage to survive on the profits of their cattery...very few and likely very specific setups are required. Keeping a small number as house pets that happen to have babies occasionally is not profitable....but a joy when all goes well!