Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Lizards Safe?

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I take my Savannah out pretty frequently to the park and in the back yard. His favorite activity is to hunt for lizards. Recently he has become pretty successful at catching them, and it didn't really occur to me whether or not it is safe for him to be carrying them around in his mouth. He hasn't actually ate one yet, but he prefers to play with it for a while, and then I force him to let it go unharmed.

It was kind of funny yesterday. I was in the back yard working, and I hear this massive rustling in the bush. Next thing I know I see Leo running at the speed of light across the backyard chasing a "Jesus Lizard." The ones that can run across water. The lizard dives into the pool just as Leo was on it's heels. Leo nearly fell into the pool, and afterwards sat there contemplating about jumping in. I wish I could get him to like water.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I take my Savannah out pretty frequently to the park and in the back yard. His favorite activity is to hunt for lizards. Recently he has become pretty successful at catching them, and it didn't really occur to me whether or not it is safe for him to be carrying them around in his mouth. He hasn't actually ate one yet, but he prefers to play with it for a while, and then I force him to let it go unharmed.

It was kind of funny yesterday. I was in the back yard working, and I hear this massive rustling in the bush. Next thing I know I see Leo running at the speed of light across the backyard chasing a "Jesus Lizard." The ones that can run across water. The lizard dives into the pool just as Leo was on it's heels. Leo nearly fell into the pool, and afterwards sat there contemplating about jumping in. I wish I could get him to like water.

Matt, I think it is fine...

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Well I don't let him eat them, but he is unleashed in the back yard when we are just hanging out. He may get to one I can't release in time and just to decide to eat it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think someone once posted about their cat always getting sick after eating lizards...so I think I would just try and prevent him chewing them up, even if he catches them...