Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

at my breaking point!

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
I am asking for help from anyone who can give it to me!!! Chester has had an innapropriate urination problem for months now. He has been to the vet several times.....I have had a complete blood panel workup done on him to eliminate anything health related...Healthy as a horse. I have tried cat attract litter, feliway, making sure the litter boxes are SPOTLESS after he elminates in it (yes he does still use the box) the boxes are very large and clear as well. no new pets, no new conditions in the household. I LOVE him dearly.....but sadly, my husband is so fed up he finally gave me the "ultimatum". I can't say that I blame him. Chester has ruiend EVERY piece of furniture we own. both beds, (which we had to replace) 2 recliners, and both of our NEW couches. I do not want to rehome him for two reasons, a) He is like my child, my heart breaks at the thought of it, and b) I fear he will continue this behavior with another owner and they will choose to euthanize, and that would also break my heart. He is well cared for; played with, loved on, well fed, has many many toys including his window perch. he IS neutered, and is not spraying, just simply peeing. I do not have the energy to keep defending him against my husband. I have asked if we can simply just put plastic over everything to break him of the habit, and my husband refuses to live in a "plastic land". please understand that my husband does not hate him and does not want to see him go but when we are constantly cleaning up urine and watching all that we have worked for get ruined, it's very hard. I am basically begging anyone that has anything they could share or techinigue that has worked. we have also thought about contacting a behavoirist, but my husband is "done" spending money on what he thinks is a problem that will never get fixed. I am willing to try any last ditch effort to keep my baby. I would like to add that this cat was rehomed to me from my boss because he was doing the same thing in his house. I am the type of person that when I commit to an animal, I am committed to them until their parting; but he has been the ultimate challenge, and I can't this destroy our marriage.

we also use anti-icky poo for cleanup. it does a good job but we still have lingering smell.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
What a sad story. Chester is fortunate to have you fighting for him. If you decide to give Chester up, I encourage you to do so through Savannah Cat Rescue -- you can contact Paige via email or Brigitte Cowell via the SVrescue website. Typically breeders will have a clause in the purchase contract that states that the cat can be returned at any time and some contracts carry a clause that the cat's ownership can't be transferred without prior notification of the breeder. The original owner broke the contract if such a contract existed, but you might think about whether contacting the breeder would be a better option than rehoming to a friend or even SV rescue.

That said, the only other suggestions I have is to spend more money, which your husband doesn't want to do, and do a phone consult with Marilyn Krieger, http://thecatcoach.com

I recently put one of my SVs on Prozac for inappropriate peeing and aggressive behavior toward one of the other cats. His behavior is motivated by territorial aggression and fear aggression. The Prozac has stopped all unwanted behaviors.

Chester's issue appears to be behavioral, perhaps anxiety motivated, perhaps due to chemical imbalance. Using a SSRI such as Prozac or similar drug may very well be the answer you seek.

You can always make a deal with your husband that if a behaviorist and/or drug regimen don't work, then you'll make an effort to place him in rescue or back with the breeder if possible.

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
What a sad story. Chester is fortunate to have you fighting for him. If you decide to give Chester up, I encourage you to do so through Savannah Cat Rescue -- you can contact Paige via email or Brigitte Cowell via the SVrescue website. Typically breeders will have a clause in the purchase contract that states that the cat can be returned at any time and some contracts carry a clause that the cat's ownership can't be transferred without prior notification of the breeder. The original owner broke the contract if such a contract existed, but you might think about whether contacting the breeder would be a better option than rehoming to a friend or even SV rescue.

That said, the only other suggestions I have is to spend more money, which your husband doesn't want to do, and do a phone consult with Marilyn Krieger, http://thecatcoach.com

I recently put one of my SVs on Prozac for inappropriate peeing and aggressive behavior toward one of the other cats. His behavior is motivated by territorial aggression and fear aggression. The Prozac has stopped all unwanted behaviors.

Chester's issue appears to be behavioral, perhaps anxiety motivated, perhaps due to chemical imbalance. Using a SSRI such as Prozac or similar drug may very well be the answer you seek.

You can always make a deal with your husband that if a behaviorist and/or drug regimen don't work, then you'll make an effort to place him in rescue or back with the breeder if possible.

THank you, and yes I was in tears writing this. I do have a prescription for prozac. I tried for 3 DAYS to get him to take it. I tried hiding in food, busting it up - he will have nothing to do with it, spits it out every time or doesnt want the food that the pill is crushed in. :( I am so fed up but love him all at the same time!!

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
THank you, and yes I was in tears writing this. I do have a prescription for prozac. I tried for 3 DAYS to get him to take it. I tried hiding in food, busting it up - he will have nothing to do with it, spits it out every time or doesnt want the food that the pill is crushed in. :( I am so fed up but love him all at the same time!!

also, my boss also contacted his breeder and let them know that he was rehoming him to me.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
oh my, thanks so much!! I will look into purchasing one.
Good luck. I really hope the prozac does the trick. Taji was on 1 capsule a day for 3 weeks and it made him very lethargic so I changed it to every other day for a couple months. And now I want to try every 3rd day and see if that works.

Please keep us posted and know that you have a support network here. Hugs to you and Chester and your DH.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I understand your desperation and frustration. I am so sorry that despite your best efforts, Chester continues to pee on everything you own.

I agree with everything Deborah has said, including the use of Prozac and consulting Marilyn Krieger.

One thing I might add....have you ever quarantined him to a small area of the house for a time...two-four weeks or more? This might be an unused room; a large bathroom would be ideal, with his litterbox, toys, a bed, food and water bowls. You would of course spend as much time with him as possible, as if he were a new kitten just arriving...the idea is to have him using the litter box exclusively before letting him back into the rest of your home. While you are away, he may need to be confined to that one area...

Do you have other pets at all? If so, is it possible one of them is upsetting him...some form of antagonizing going on between them? If you have no other pets, perhaps a buddy cat for Chester might be what he needs, or it may make things worse...how many hours of the day is he left alone?

What is Chester's relationship to your husband? Does he (hubby) show anger or resentment to him...how long did Chester do this at his prior home with your boss, and how did that owner react?

Were there ever any other cats in the home you live in? Are there stray or wandering cats outside he can see or hear that are upsetting him?

I know you said you have tried everything, and you certainly have tried many tactics at finding an end to this habit. I believe there IS a solution to his issue, and finding the cause and cure might take just a little bit more, if he is to stay with you....I wish you all the best and please keep us posted!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
To help those with the Fluoxetine (Prozac), it does come in a tablet which can be broken to smaller sizes. I'm sure there are many here who can describe the "pilling" technique.
Witchy, through my son's experience with his cat, there appears to be a minimum effective dose. You can try the every 3rd day dosing, but be on the look out for reappearance of behaviors. His is a big kitty and the every other day turned out to be optimum for his cat.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
To help those with the Fluoxetine (Prozac), it does come in a tablet which can be broken to smaller sizes

I get Taji's in capsule form from a compounding pharmacy so I don't have to mess around with cutting tablets and perhaps messing up on the dosage.