Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Ayanai's Spay Adventure


Savannah Super Cat
So I recently got Ayanai spayed. I grew up always having at least one cat and one dog, if not more, as well as an assortment of fish and rodents. I have never had complications such as the ones I went through getting her fixed.

I drop her off at the vet on Tuesday morning and will be allowed to pick her up again Wednesday (standard practice at my vet to keep them overnight for observation). I spend an anxious night away from my little girl. Work on Wednesday drags by ever so slowly. The vet calls to say everything went smoothly and she is doing well. As soon as the clock shows 4:00 I pack up and get to the vet as quickly as I can. She is fine, sleepy but fine. All the way home I am informed, in great detail, of everything that happened and her opinion on all of it.

She didn't eat much of her dinner that evening, and we all went to bed early. I wake Thursday morning and check her incision. Every single suture, save the one at the very top, has been neatly removed. The incision looks the same, just without the sutures. I sigh and call my vet. Yup, she needs to be brought in. I call my boss so that he knows where I am. Down to the vet we go. Chuckles are had, glue is used to ensure the incision stays closed and a cloth cone of shame is awarded. Ayanai then gets the privileged of spending the day in a carrier with me at work as we are to go back to the vet after work to make sure the glue is working. Everything seems in order after the visit and we once more go home. I am again told of her opinions and every little detail of what has happened to her, as if I weren't there for it all.

We get a break and the weekend is uneventful. Monday evening when I get home from work, I perform the routine inspection of her incision. There is a small amount of fluid leaking from the bottom of it and there is a small opening as well. The fluid was a swirled orange color, my best guess is that is was a little bit of blood mixed with the clear fluid that makes scabs (platelets I think) A single q-tip cleans it all up, and I notice there is a small opening in the incision. I sigh and yet another call is placed to the vet.

Tuesday we arrive promptly at opening time and are seen relatively quickly. After looking everything over the vet wishes to consult with the other vet in the office and I leave Ayanai in her capable hands. I work for the rest of the day and rush back to the vet to hear the prognosis. She has received two more sutures and will need to be seen in 10 days for removal. We go home and I get to hear her side of the story. In the morning I check her incision and everything is still good to go and I head to work. When I finally get home, her incision is checked again.....sutures have been unceremoniously ripped out making the small opening somewhat larger. I frantically call the vet and explain the situation. I am instructed to get a cover on the wound and as long as Ayanai is acting normal it should be safe to wait until morning to see her ( it was almost closing time). However if I can make it down there before closing, a hard plastic cone can be acquired. After 8 band-aides,. I yield and go acquire the hard plastic cone.

When I get home, I decide that I am taking no chances. I grab the first aid kit and corner my prey. Plastic cone is on, and I begin my administrations. Dressing is applied and held in place by an ace bandage that fastens with Velcro. Thursday morning we are again in the vets office. Many chuckles are had as my bandage is removed. Lo and behold, the wound is almost completely closed up. I again leave her at the vet and head to work. When I pick her up that afternoon she is sporting a professional bandage. Huh, guess I figured out the best thing in this situation. We are given antibiotics and told to return Tuesday morning.

The weekend, thankfully, holds no surprises and Ayanai is quickly learning that the cone of shame is a weapon to be feared. Headbutts turn deadly, and we cower under her current reign of terror. Tuesday morning quickly arrives and I am eagerly awaiting a prognosis that allows the removal of the cone. Her bandage is cut off and the wound is closed and there is a small patch of granulated tissue. We are to continue her antibiotics until Saturday, and apply neosporin topically until everything is all healed. I sigh, and we again head home to the sound of Ayanai's commentary.

The days roll by, and Friday I get sick and am sent home. I check her incision and there is no more soft/new feeling to the little tissue bulge (which is somewhat difficult to discern anymore). I think long and hard and decide to take off the cone and observe what happens. A bath is immediately started. Every inch of that gorgeous fur is cleaned to perfection. There is no change in the wound as it is furiously bathed. I breathe a sigh of relief. The ordeal has finally come to an end. The Vet gets a call a few days later and all is well. Laughs and chuckles are had by all and many sighs of relief are let loose. The lesson has been learned, Ayanai doesn't approve of stitches and will require a hard plastic cone if she has ANY injury that requires her to leave something alone on her body.


  • IMG_20130808_115205_753.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20130814_183820_316.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20130819_163409_972.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20130820_190317_738.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 26


Savannah Super Cat
The caption for the picture with the blue cone collar is: I are holey Holy cat. This my holey Holy vestment.

:big grin:

Congrats on surviving that adventure. That is one determined girl you've got there.


Staff member
Ah yes, the joys of living with a holy terror of a diva. This is why I have 3 males:big grin: But the good news is that your vet was able to laugh at and with you and Ayanai. My vet and her entire staff start throwing back tequila shots before I arrive at the office with either of my F2s. The receptionist always asks which cat i'm bringing in. If I say "Maliik", the response is "oh gawwwwwd Maliik." And then I hear her shouting to the vet that Maliik is coming in and I hear urgent plans being made for a long vacation.:roflmao:


Savannah Super Cat
Hehe. My vet did make the comment that, although they love seeing me and my animals, they don't ever want to see me again unless its a routine visit. I am fortunate that my vet is very understanding, and I hope that my future vet(s) are just as welcoming. I will be moving in March of 2014 across the country.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Just the perfect perspective on things as they happened and a few days removed took away all the panic.

Outside our home Chongo is the perfect cat and everyone at the Vet's office gushes over him. Just frightened enough to be the consummate gentlemen. Playful yet reserved, curious but cautious and fascinated by what doggies might be around. Totally a different cat than the spitfire he is at home. Oh and after his his hip surgery he never once messed with his stitches.
Last edited:


Animal Communicator
Sorry to hear that its been such an ordeal getting Ayanai spayed, but it sounds like your handling it well...with a good sense of humour :)