Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Back foot limp

django

Savannah Super Cat
I was playing with Django our little 4 month old savannah with his teaser toy, and he jumped pretty high in the air to get it and landed sloppy, which he tends to do often (not sure if its cause he's young, or cause he has a kink in his tail). He yelped for a second then got up and is walking with a limp on his back foot. He was STILL trying to play even though I could see he was barely putting any weight on his back foot so I took all his toys away and put them in the cabinet.

He jumped onto the tv stand (like 3 ft high) and was able to get into his litterbox (the top entry one) but he's still limping. He finally got tired and layed down, but I'm super nervous. I'm thinking it was just a sprain but it's like impossible to keep him from putting weight on it and of course all the vets are closed today.

Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions advice, do I need to be worried he could injure this further? I know he's going to try to jump on the bed tonight and I don't want him hurting it but it's impossible to stop him. If I put him in the bathroom he will just cry and whine all night because we have two others cats.

Thanks for the help and hope everyone is having a safe and happy 4th.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm always a fan of getting the vet to check it out if the limp hasn't gone soon. Although if it is a bone in the foot that is broken, keeping a splint on can be harder than you'd think anyway (I had fun with a kitten with a broken paw last year). Chances are if he's putting weight on it, it's a sprain. Just because he's a kitten he likely won't rest it too much so it could take some time to heal.

Of course, it may be fine by morning. My mel kitten Michelle just twisted her foot under my desk...and I took to the vet and they decided it was just a sprain. He wanted me to give her buprenex for the next four-five days but by nightfall she's racing around the room without even favoring that leg so we decided to give her until morning and then you wouldn't even know which paw had been swollen and sore the day before. Kittens are very resilient lil things...

django

Savannah Super Cat
If it's not significantly improved by morning I would take him to the vet to make sure he hasn't broken anything. If it's a sprain I think it should be better by then.
Thanks. He layed down for a bit. A few minutes ago he ran up his cat tree so I doubt it's a break. Probly just a really light sprain. I have a booster appt at the vet for my other cat tomorrow at 2 so if he's still limping then ill bring him in as well.

John Popp

Site Supporter
One thing to add here is when Chongo broke his hip I coerced him into playing some more to try to discern if it was just a slight sprain. I felt awful the next morning when he was still in pain and even worse when I saw the X-ray.

That said I would just suggest letting your cat or kitten reveal the extent of their injury and just observe. Anything still evident after 8-12 hours definitely get them to the vet.

Lesley

Site Supporter
John,

One of my biggest concerns for our new kitten is a bad fall. How did you handle Chongo and get that hip healed?

django

Savannah Super Cat
Update on Django...

Woke up this morning and he's zooming around again (I think I even heard him zooming around last night as well) I think he might be slightly favoring his good foot a tiny bit, but if I didn't KNOW he was limping the night before I would have never noticed. He's running up and down the cat tree, chasing his brothers, and hopping all over the place. Brigitte, you were right... kittens are resilient as heck!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think it is much like human children, they have falls and just pick themselves up and run onwards... but there are always the awkward falls where they do serious injury.

But I did have a kitten go out a window and fall two floors to the ground and only broke one bone in one paw... which seemed unbelievably little injury to me. yet as John has seen, a fall during play can break their hip...

My feeling is that there is just so much you can do...there's no use being paranoid and not giving them cat trees and shelving as mine will just make up a circuit involving bouncing off walls and using other furniture instead. You have to allow them to be kittens, and know there is some chance of injury.

John Popp

Site Supporter
John,

One of my biggest concerns for our new kitten is a bad fall. How did you handle Chongo and get that hip healed?
Chongo spent two months crated and it was quite a challenge. I slept on the floor next to his crate and often laid my head on his bed through the open door. He desperately wanted out and each day I spent 5+ hours playing with him through the bars or on a shortened lead and harness. It was as trying as anything I had ever experienced, and it took great effort to make sure the same kitten that went in had the same zeal when he was released.

I'm happy to say that is exactly what happened thanks to the help of so many here.