Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad Experience With Unleashed Dogs

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I took Leo to the same park we usually do for exercise. Stepping out of the car I noticed two dogs with their owners far off in the distance after I put Leo down on his leash. I figured they were far enough away and that their owners would keep them off of us. Before I knew it, their dogs were coming after us. The owners put little effort to keep them away and shouted from a distance, "I promise they are friendly." I picked up Leo and put him in my arms. He began hissing at the dogs as they sat clawing at my legs. The owners, a young college couple lacking brains, stood their lackadaisically. One of the dogs jumped at me to get Leo. Leo panicked while trying to get higher on top of my body and cut my face open. I held tight to Leo regardless of how bad he had just cut my face. The couple realized that the situation was serious and dragged their dogs away. My face started bleeding badly. I later went to a clinic and had to have 4 stitches put in.

Florida law states that all animals must be on a leash in public parks. There is a massive sign that clearly states they need to be on a leash at the entrance of the damn park. I was more upset that they didn't even have a leash on them to put their dogs on for any reason. They apologized and walked off.

I went to the bathroom to wash the blood off and the park ranger came over to see Leopold out of interest. Her sister or something has a Savannah and knew exactly what Leo was. We explained the situation to her, and she suggested we get their information and call the police. When the couple saw us talking with the park ranger they quickly made their way to the car and let.

I'm not mad at Leo and will continue to take him out. I should have been more vocal and demanding that the couple get their dogs away from myself and my cat. My mother is getting up there in age and she is not one to adjust her opinions about things. She is not very fond of me taking him out for walks. She says that he will go crazier in the house if you take him out and I pretty much say the complete opposite. After I explained to her what happened she basically gave me the I told you so speech which made my blood boil. She said, "You can't except people to think that you will be taking a cat out for a walk." My reaction to that is what if I had a small child or a puppy with me. The dogs would have reacted the same way and possibly caused harm.

Attachments

• IMG_1887.JPG
    IMG_1887.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1888.JPG
    IMG_1888.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 45

Trish Allearz

I took Leo to the same park we usually do for exercise. Stepping out of the car I noticed two dogs with their owners far off in the distance after I put Leo down on his leash. I figured they were far enough away and that their owners would keep them off of us. Before I knew it, their dogs were coming after us. The owners put little effort to keep them away and shouted from a distance, "I promise they are friendly." I picked up Leo and put him in my arms. He began hissing at the dogs as they sat clawing at my legs. The owners, a young college couple lacking brains, stood their lackadaisically. One of the dogs jumped at me to get Leo. Leo panicked while trying to get higher on top of my body and cut my face open. I held tight to Leo regardless of how bad he had just cut my face. The couple realized that the situation was serious and dragged their dogs away. My face started bleeding badly. I later went to a clinic and had to have 4 stitches put in.

Florida law states that all animals must be on a leash in public parks. There is a massive sign that clearly states they need to be on a leash at the entrance of the damn park. I was more upset that they didn't even have a leash on them to put their dogs on for any reason. They apologized and walked off.

I went to the bathroom to wash the blood off and the park ranger came over to see Leopold out of interest. Her sister or something has a Savannah and knew exactly what Leo was. We explained the situation to her, and she suggested we get their information and call the police. When the couple saw us talking with the park ranger they quickly made their way to the car and let.

I'm not mad at Leo and will continue to take him out. I should have been more vocal and demanding that the couple get their dogs away from myself and my cat. My mother is getting up there in age and she is not one to adjust her opinions about things. She is not very fond of me taking him out for walks. She says that he will go crazier in the house if you take him out and I pretty much say the complete opposite. After I explained to her what happened she basically gave me the I told you so speech which made my blood boil. She said, "You can't except people to think that you will be taking a cat out for a walk." My reaction to that is what if I had a small child or a puppy with me. The dogs would have reacted the same way and possibly caused harm.

While you are right- Grandma is right too.

Laws are laws and people, unfortunately, choose to break them. People are idiots, for lack of a better term.

I'm sorry- that gouge looks pretty darn painful! I'm not sure there is a real answer if you are out on public property- it's something all owners need to think of when walking their cats- WHAT IF? HOW secure is my jacket? HOW can I protect my cat if a dog is determined to get to it? Etc. Oh- you could try carrying a small can of... mace or something less harmful- that might be a good thing to have on hand to scare off a dog?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Wow....I'm sorry! That's a pretty nasty gash....I'm glad Leo did not bolt or get out of his jacket!

Don't be surprised if the next time you take him out, he's a little apprehensive towards dogs. Trish is right; get some mace or pepper spray.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I would feel so bad about spraying somebody's dogs with pepper spray. But, if they don't have them on a leash in a public area, it would probably be their own fault. If the owners would have leashed the dogs when they started heading our direction, none of this would have happened. They didn't even have one in their pocket.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Sorry that happened to the two of you Matt. I don't ever walk my cats in public parks and one of the reasons is what happened to you. Another reason is that they draw so much attention they would get frustrated by so many people wanting to meet them when they wanted to explore and enjoy having an adventure. I prefer to walk them in cemeteries -- fewer dogs for sure and fewer ambulatory people.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I would feel so bad about spraying somebody's dogs with pepper spray. But, if they don't have them on a leash in a public area, it would probably be their own fault. If the owners would have leashed the dogs when they started heading our direction, none of this would have happened. They didn't even have one in their pocket.

I'd hate to do it, too. But this experience could have definitely taken a much worse turn, with Leo injured as well as yourself....then I think you'd be glad to have some sort of spray on hand. It's really too bad they got away, as they will no doubt do this again.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I am so sorry that you both have had to go through that.

I walk D outside in our neighborhood. That said, I do not let him down if there are any dogs in sight. If a dog comes in to sight, I pick him up, and we turn and go in the opposite direction.

I do take him to petco, but I tend to go in first, ask if he can come in (I know the answer, but I "ask" because it makes the staff more aware), then bring him in. I carry him to the cat section, then put him down. By then, he usually has at least one staff member friend who wants to pet him, and who provides a second set of eyes for me.

I have occasionally had to grab him both in petco and while outside. When I grab him, I pick him up, and turn around putting myself between him and whatever has scared him. Do I occasionally get scratched? Yes. But he is 2, and so far I have been scratched 2x, both times when he was TERRIFIED.

I err on the side of holding him pretty tightly. He is trying to get away from whatever is scaring him, so removing it from sight helps. If I can get his head snuggled in to my chest or neck, that helps. He will hide his head in my hair, and once that happens, we are fine. That is the "I'm scarred mommy make it stop" reaction, and once that happens, he is relying on me to fix the problem.

That said, I am not above taking action if something is going after him or if he is scared. If I think he is being threatened or feeling threatened, I will act. Immediately. If I can remove him from the situation, I will. If I cannot remove him, I will mitigate the threat.

I live in a neighborhood where cats are viewed as a pest by some residents. We avoid their blocks on our walks. I live in a neighborhood where the park is frequented by people who allow their dog's off leash. So we go to the school instead, or the tennis court, and run around there.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
That is a rough thing you went through Matt. The positive thing is you and your cat are safe and sound now.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Wow Matt, what a scary situation! I respect you not wanting to spray the dogs but it might not hurt to carry some pepper spray as a last resort - and then spray the idiot owners as well!! :mad:

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
Ouch that is a nasty scratch! Sorry the dog owners didnt have enough courtesy to leash their pets.

You might want to carry with you a soft pet carrier on your walks, specially if you are at dog parks. If you see a dangerous situation arising, it might give you and your savannah more protection to place Leo into the carrier when dogs run toward him. Then you have your hands free to battle off dogs? Leo will have a material carrier around him for more protection too.

Then take Leo back out with his leash after the danger disappears and enjoy your walks.

I like the idea of walking in parks where dogs won't be. Plus they should make parks for cats.

Hope you heal fast and Leo doesn't become fearful of dogs.