Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bad reaction to anesthesia?!?syringe force feeding?!?!

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
Koda went in to be neutered. The surgery went great. But then when we woke up from anesthesia he bit his tounge and attacked his face with his paw. They had to put him back under and stitch his tounge back together and his lip. The vet was so worried he took him home for overnight observation. We didn't even get to see him bc the vet said he was pretty bad and that he was very off from anesthesia x2.

He then told us Koda would have to eat wetfood for the next two weeks. He won't touch wet food he Burries all wet and all dry food except nasty authority hairball control. Horrible food. But he told us if he won't eat wet food (which he won't) were going to have to force feed him with syringe. Does anyone have experience with this?!? I'm slightly freaking out!!

cmantis

Savannah Super Cat
Oh no. Very sorry to hear. I think he will be ok with some tlc. I have force fed before but am not the best to give advice. I think your vet or perhaps someone else he would be. Good luck with everything and sendinv good vibes your and his way.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear about Koda... Be sure to find out what type of anesthesia was used, so you know in the future what affects him so negatively and they can use something else...

Can you try wetting down the dry food he likes? If not, and you need to force feed, ask the vet for an appropriate syringe (30-60cc) and probably AD would work best... You may even be able to mix the AD with some of his dry by grinding the dry, mixing it in with the AD and adding a bit of water...

Poor baby!!! And anyone can have an adverse reaction to anesthesia. This is why vets tend to keep patients nearby as they recover from surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
What is AD? No, he will not touch kibble that has been made wet. He is the pickiest kitty I've ever met. He eats a lot during the day so I'm trying to figure out how much wet food I'm suppose to give.

admin

Paige
Staff member
AD is a canned food from the vet... The vet should calculate how much you need to feed him

Last edited:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Find out what they've been feeding him at the vet's. If he is that picky you are right, he will probably need to force feed him. Two weeks seems a long time though, he must have really done a number on his tongue!

Definitely find out what kind of anesthesia was used on him, you probably don't want it used again unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
I was told they had to basically re-attach his tounge. We pick him up in 1hr. But the vet said be prepared he looks really really bad. Though he's already back to purring and being a love bug! But he won't drink water or eat so both will have to be force fed.