Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

beef heart flakes

M

macmanmatty

My Dad has been getting dried beef heart flakes for his fish. I got thinking about this a supplement for cats to add to my raw mixture for pregnant cats and kittens? Think this is a good idea? Would it not be good source of additional taurine? and have other good nutrientes?

John Popp

Site Supporter
There is certainly a fair amount of taurine available in beef heart, although it is also very high in cholesterol. Heavy in vitamin B content and protein, but in all chicken hearts would be a much better route to travel. If you do decide to feed some of these dried beef heart flakes I would limit them to about 150mg a day. Certainly not much, but it won't push the bar so far that you need to modify the rest of their diet.

admin

Paige
Staff member
There is certainly a fair amount of taurine available in beef heart, although it is also very high in cholesterol. Heavy in vitamin B content and protein, but in all chicken hearts would be a much better route to travel. If you do decide to feed some of these dried beef heart flakes I would limit them to about 150mg a day. Certainly not much, but it won't push the bar so far that you need to modify the rest of their diet.
But felines do not store cholesterol as we do...many people feed beef hearts, although you can overdo it. All of my cats vomit from beef hear though...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Agreed, just that too much cholesterol in the diet causes their liver and kidneys to do extra work without benefit. As you stated and with other organs you can overdo it and just because one is good won't make two better.

Chicken hearts are definitely more in line with our cats needs and even better small prey hearts (which of course you need to get whole mice or the like). Just need to keep things in check and more importantly if your cat is eating what you put in front of them.