Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Behavior

Ellie

Savannah Super Cat
  1. How do you know when you receive answers?
  2. 11:38 AM - Ellie:
    Hello! I am new to this site. I have an F4 male, Neo, who is 5 mo old. I have some questions .....1 - He has begun hunting at night for about an hour before settling down. He gets up on counters and shelves and starts breaking things. I would have to empty my entire house to keep things safe! And that is not an option. 2 - Also, when anyone eats around him, he is insistant that he should share.
  3. - Neo does not purr, is this normal? I never had a kitty that didn't purr. Any advice?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Welcome to the site Ellie. You have to check the thread you start to see if there are replies. If someone quotes you, it will how up as an Alert at the top right of the page right under the SVcatchat logo.

Neo is either hungry or needs to play or both. Try feeding him a small meal or snack at bedtime. If that alone doesn't work, right before bedtime play with him until you tire him out and then feed him. That is actually probably the better option, especially for a kitten. Cats are crepuscular critters, meaning they are most active at daybreak and in the evening so playing will burn off the energy cats use at night to hunt.

Also try increasing the size of his meals to see if that stops his need to partake of human food. Two things that may be contributing to the behavior is hunger or he may not be getting the nutrition he needs from what you are feeding him. He needs a high protein, grain-free, low carb food -- preferably canned. And he should be fed 3-4 times per day.

As far as the purrs, each cat is different. I have 3 who purr for me and each other and one who purrs only for the other cats and never for a human.

Ellie

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome to the site Ellie. You have to check the thread you start to see if there are replies. If someone quotes you, it will how up as an Alert at the top right of the page right under the SVcatchat logo.

Neo is either hungry or needs to play or both. Try feeding him a small meal or snack at bedtime. If that alone doesn't work, right before bedtime play with him until you tire him out and then feed him. That is actually probably the better option, especially for a kitten. Cats are crepuscular critters, meaning they are most active at daybreak and in the evening so playing will burn off the energy cats use at night to hunt.

Also try increasing the size of his meals to see if that stops his need to partake of human food. Two things that may be contributing to the behavior is hunger or he may not be getting the nutrition he needs from what you are feeding him. He needs a high protein, grain-free, low carb food -- preferably canned. And he should be fed 3-4 times per day.

As far as the purrs, each cat is different. I have 3 who purr for me and each other and one who purrs only for the other cats and never for a human.

Ellie

Savannah Super Cat

Thank you for answering! I am finding this site quite difficult to navigate. Neo is fed Wellness Canned food 2x daily and Earthborn dry food all day as self feed. Should he be getting more? My vet thought this is OK.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
How much does he weigh? I would quit leaving the dry food out and feed him more canned. Cats smell the dry food and it causes their body to always be in digestion mode which may be why he's acting hungry all the time.

Ellie

Savannah Super Cat
How much does he weigh? I would quit leaving the dry food out and feed him more canned. Cats smell the dry food and it causes their body to always be in digestion mode which may be why he's acting hungry all the time.
He is 9 lbs at 5 months old. I feed him 2 3oz cans a day. he has been having problems with loose stool and some blood, but Vet cannot find anything wrong. stool neg and Neo checks out fine. though he is my first Savannah, I have tons of experience with cats but these issues are new for me.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
He is 9 lbs at 5 months old. I feed him 2 3oz cans a day. he has been having problems with loose stool and some blood, but Vet cannot find anything wrong. stool neg and Neo checks out fine. though he is my first Savannah, I have tons of experience with cats but these issues are new for me.
That's not nearly enough canned food for a 9lb Savannah kitten. He should be eating at least twice that much, if not more. I've had kittens eat about a pound of raw a day, and that is much more filling than canned food.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
He sounds like a big boy. As Witchy advised, free feeding is not very good since there's no time for proper digestion to occur and real hunger to set in. Is this the same food the breeder was also feeding him? Has the loose stool been a problem since day 1 or just more recently?

Is he neutered?

Ellie

Savannah Super Cat
That's not nearly enough canned food for a 9lb Savannah kitten. He should be eating at least twice that much, if not more. I've had kittens eat about a pound of raw a day, and that is much more filling than canned food.
Thank you. it should still be kitten food, correct? What about those of us who work, can he be fed 3 times am pm & bedtime? I am going to try some boiled chicken tonight......how much to start?

Ellie

Savannah Super Cat
He sounds like a big boy. As Witchy advised, free feeding is not very good since there's no time for proper digestion to occur and real hunger to set in. Is this the same food the breeder was also feeding him? Has the loose stool been a problem since day 1 or just more recently?

Is he neutered?
I got him at 6 weeks old. Breeder offered me fancy feast which I refused. I use premium food. loose stool on and off with occasional blood since he came to me. Vet started a Probiotic Thursday. Vet did not see blood on stool sample but I see it at the end of his elimination.