Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Best companion for an F3 6mo Male

J

Jordan Scott

Hello All!

First I would like to say thank you to everyone in this forum. You'all have been extremely helpful in helping me make my decision to become a Savannah addict!

I have a 6mo old F3 Male savannah that I would like to get a companion. This leads me to my first question. I would prefer another male but am wondering if a female companion would be better? Any thoughts on Male/Male households?

Second, I need to find a companion that is able to keep up with my current F3. He's (as I imagine most Savannah's are) extremely active and needs another cat to "run" with. Would an F4, F5 or F6 be able to keep up with my F3? Or would it be better to get another F3?

Thanks so much ahead of time for your thoughts!

Jordan

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't think that there necessarily needs to be a decision on male/female or generation as much as finding the right kitten personality... it's more important to match the personality of your existing kitten...so communication with the breeder you choose to know what will fit best will be key :)

I think male/male kitty households work just fine though, in case you are worried about that...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hi Jordan, there are many later generation Savannahs that are just as active and playful as the early generation cats. There are also several non-Savannah cat breeds that do well as companions for Savannahs, such as Highlanders, Abyssinians, and Bengals. I think what is most important is that you talk to the breeder(s) about the personality of any kitten you are interested in getting and make sure it sounds like it will match your boy's needs. I also don't think it matters whether you get a male or female, especially if they are both altered, but females tend to be more dominant (bossy) and males more laid back (lazy).

BTW, if you haven't already, we'd love to see pics of your boy - what is his name?

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We have three boys, F3, F4, and F5. All three are altered. Our F5 boy, D, came home first, and we got our F3 Boy, Jarvis, because D's energy level is so high we wanted to be sure that his friend could keep up with him, and our breeder suggested Jarvis would be a good match for D. We brought home Mickey because I saw him and fell in love. Mickey is an F4. Mickey, D, and J are similar in energy level.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome to the forum Jordan!.
My son actually had the same challenge as you. F3 6mo who really needed a cat to keep up with him. My son and his wife found a shelter cat (domestic) that was very outgoing and playful. Perfect match. It doesn't necessarily have to be another savannah. In this case it was a male but I think a female would have worked.
As far as mixing sexes and generations, I have a F5 female and two F3 brothers of different ages. No problem other than the three ring circus.