Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bite to base of tail

Cay

Savannah Super Cat
We recently moved to Europe and finally have gotten Duma back to us. She has been here for a few weeks now but there is a local gang of cats that "jumped" her in our yard the other day. She is fine and taught the cats a lesson but one but the base of her tail and we are very worried as it has swollen and has not gone down in two days. We will be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning as soon as they open and though they have a vet who is qualified to work with exotic pets I just really want to make sure I know what can and can't be done to a SVC.

Please, let me know as I know there are some medications and vaccines that can harm SVC. I really need to make sure she stays okay by having the knowledge in case the vet does not.

TYIA.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
We recently moved to Europe and finally have gotten Duma back to us. She has been here for a few weeks now but there is a local gang of cats that "jumped" her in our yard the other day. She is fine and taught the cats a lesson but one but the base of her tail and we are very worried as it has swollen and has not gone down in two days. We will be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning as soon as they open and though they have a vet who is qualified to work with exotic pets I just really want to make sure I know what can and can't be done to a SVC.

Please, let me know as I know there are some medications and vaccines that can harm SVC. I really need to make sure she stays okay by having the knowledge in case the vet does not.

TYIA.

Hope Duma feels better soon!! The vet care for a Savannah is the same as any other domestic cat. So as long as your vet is used to treating cats I'm sure it will be just fine. Many people don't use Ketamine for anesthesia but that's more because there are much better options out there for ANY cat, not just because they are a Savannah.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like Duma needs antibiotics, I'm very glad you're getting her to the vet tomorrow. I agree with the above - Savannahs are domestic cats so should be fine with whatever treatment the vet prescribes.

Cay

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks guys! We got some abx and anti-inflammatory meds for her today and will have a follow up on Friday. All seems well and she's super at taking medicine haha surprisingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear she takes her meds like a good little girl! Hopefully she will be much better by your follow-up check on Friday.