Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Blood in Stool

admin

Paige
Staff member
funny, none of my cats will eat raw chicken, although they used to...I don't know what happened. Now they will only eat rabbit.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's only worse in terms of the contamination and the way it is processed. Chickens have some nasty bacteria (for us, it's fine for them) in their guts and when processed it's easy to see how that bacteria ends up on the chicken meat. In comparison, when a cow is processed the gut bacteria aren't spread so far proportionally on the body. Of course they still do have issues (E.coli ).

I do notice that comparatively, ground rabbit in the fridge does not seem to spoil as fast as ground chicken. I still don't like to have it sitting there for more than a couple days...but it seems to do better. Maybe rabbits have less or nicer bacteria in their guts?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
funny, none of my cats will eat raw chicken, although they used to...I don't know what happened. Now they will only eat rabbit.
Mine were the same when they discovered rabbit... of course when I am grinding the chicken for Babs they do beg for bits of it to snack on. But that's true of anything I am preparing in the kitchen...until the meat is cooking they want some, they lose interest once it's cooking...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte here. If you are using 'people quality' chicken then it is meant to be cooked, meaning that there could be bacteria on the raw. I think at the least it needs to be washed thoroughly. Freezing can help kill some bacteria, but not all, so if you are purchasing it raw, freezing it after washing thoroughly might add to the 'decontamination' process.

Paul B

Sorte
Oh wow, I didn't get any alerts about replies. I just notices this.

Yes, if this persists I am going to make an appointment to take Sorte to the vet.

The chicken I gave him was a just thawed 3 pack of thighs from Costco. I took the skin off and rinsed them before cutting them. I only cut up one and put the rest in the fridge. So it was good, new chicken.

I didn't realize that chicken was worse than most other meats. While he was eating it (both cooked and raw) it was the first thing he picked out in his dish. Although he seemed to really go for the raw with zero hesitation. Once he smelled it he was eating it, not "checking it out".

M

MK Anderson

It's only worse in terms of the contamination and the way it is processed. Chickens have some nasty bacteria (for us, it's fine for them) in their guts and when processed it's easy to see how that bacteria ends up on the chicken meat. In comparison, when a cow is processed the gut bacteria aren't spread so far proportionally on the body. Of course they still do have issues (E.coli ).

I do notice that comparatively, ground rabbit in the fridge does not seem to spoil as fast as ground chicken. I still don't like to have it sitting there for more than a couple days...but it seems to do better. Maybe rabbits have less or nicer bacteria in their guts?

That good to know! I had no idea!!! I have read freezing for 3day after making raw kills a lot of it?! I might have to try rabbit again with them...So they have a variety!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, the freeze/thaw cycle will get rid of some of the bacteria...it doesn't completely sterilize it though and the bacteria can regrow quickly... so the best idea is to not only rinse the chicken but repackage in smaller amounts before putting into the freezer for that freeze treatment :)

M

MK Anderson

That is would I do. I put mine in 2 cup containers so I know it will get eaten in a days time.