Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Blue Squirrel

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I've seen all kinds of squirrels, having lived on both coasts, and have seen squirrels overseas. I'd never seen a blue one until moving to our current home. I looked it up and there's very little info beyond some speculation that it is a breed thought to be extinct. It has much longer, and higher-set ears than any other I've ever seen, and is less skittish/aggressive, as well. Has anyone else seen a blue squirrel like this?
IMG_3796.jpg

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Funny. When I searched 'grey squirrel' before I got images of the standard grey/buff colored ones. When I added 'western' to the search there were a few images of the so-grey-they're-blue ones.
Thanks, mystery solved!

John Popp

Site Supporter
BTW, I thought I'd be able to find some of my whacky squirrel pictures but couldn't dig them up. Anyway, here's a picture of a red-tailed melanistic gray squirrel. They are all over the place near here, but only a few have a really defined red tail and the majority of them are straight up black or gray.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
BTW, I thought I'd be able to find some of my whacky squirrel pictures but couldn't dig them up. Anyway, here's a picture of a red-tailed melanistic gray squirrel.
That is one handsome squirrel, thank you for sharing! If you ever happen across the wacky ones, I'd be glad to see those, as well.

And, to the previous post: :roflmao::roflmao:

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'll start taking some pictures of them. 10 years ago you would rarely see a gray squirrel, let alone a melanistic one and now they are everywhere. Now we are seeing all kinds of crazy adaptations, but they are all just gray squirrels. They are definitely pushing the fox squirrels out, as they are a lot more aggressive.

In our Metro Park, you can often see Red Squirrels and after the leaves are gone at dusk you can sometimes see a flying squirrel. What a dolphin is to the sea, a flying squirrel is to land, I love them.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I would *love* to see a flying squirrel in person. Is that a daily occurrence?

I wonder what's causing all the funky colors, when I was a kid it was a big deal to see a single melanistic one. There's a tortie squirrel out there, somewhere!

John Popp

Site Supporter
It's a rarity to see a flying squirrel although there are plenty of them around. They're nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at dusk and hard to see them when the trees still have leaves.