Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boarding A F1

L

Louie'sDad

I feel bad leaving Louie because he is so attached to me, but I've got to travel for a few days at the end of this month. I feel that he needs special care, as I feel most F1's do because they are "one master" cats and will not respond to anyone but their master.

If anyone can recommend someone within 30 miles of 07712 zip code who can care for Louie for a few days then I'd be most grateful. Of course, I'll supply the food and litter.
Thanks.
Joe

PS: Last time I left him, I had a neighbor's kid feed him. Disaster because Louie marked his territory when the intruder encroached.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I can't imagine a worse scenario than leaving him with a stranger in a stranger's house if it didn't work out with your neighbor.

I think a better option would be to have your neighbor's kid (or anyone else you are comfortable with) start feeding him and spending time with him NOW so Louie has a chance to get comfortable. At least by the time you leave, both of them will have established some familiarity and it will be easier for Louie to accept the care of someone other than you.

I introduced Atticus to our cat sitter within the first week he was home. She came and fed him and played with him for 3 weeks. We were heading to Europe at the end of that time and I needed to be sure he would accept her.

And even when we don't travel for awhile, she still comes over to play with him so he doesn't forget her and stays in his comfort zone with her. Even so, he will go on a hunger strike for the first few days we're gone. Thankfully, he doesn't mark with urine.

You have to do better at thinking ahead about scenarios when you may have to have someone else care for or help care for Louie. I take Atticus out with me to as many stores/places as I can and expose him to as many people as I can. I have people over to the house just so he stays used to the idea that strangers will be in his life. He has adapted nicely. He greets every stranger who comes in the house. Sometimes he lets them pet him right away, sometimes it takes a while and sometimes he doesn't like whoever is here and he'll stay away. But, it's important that he keeps getting the exposure.

Trish Allearz

I can't imagine a worse scenario than leaving him with a stranger in a stranger's house if it didn't work out with your neighbor.

I think a better option would be to have your neighbor's kid (or anyone else you are comfortable with) start feeding him and spending time with him NOW so Louie has a chance to get comfortable. At least by the time you leave, both of them will have established some familiarity and it will be easier for Louie to accept the care of someone other than you.

I introduced Atticus to our cat sitter within the first week he was home. She came and fed him and played with him for 3 weeks. We were heading to Europe at the end of that time and I needed to be sure he would accept her.

And even when we don't travel for awhile, she still comes over to play with him so he doesn't forget her and stays in his comfort zone with her. Even so, he will go on a hunger strike for the first few days we're gone. Thankfully, he doesn't mark with urine.

You have to do better at thinking ahead about scenarios when you may have to have someone else care for or help care for Louie. I take Atticus out with me to as many stores/places as I can and expose him to as many people as I can. I have people over to the house just so he stays used to the idea that strangers will be in his life. He has adapted nicely. He greets every stranger who comes in the house. Sometimes he lets them pet him right away, sometimes it takes a while and sometimes he doesn't like whoever is here and he'll stay away. But, it's important that he keeps getting the exposure.

And I hope if you are leaving him home-- that you confine him to one room so the sitter can actually physically check on him and see him-- and ensure he's safe.

I totally agree with WW here-- excellent advice. I always have family take care of my crew if I need to be gone out of town, but I know everyone doesn't have that option.

I REALLY cannot even think of an F1 boarding somewhere-- most cats don't care for boarding, as is-- most cats are used to their routine in their homes. Since F1s and F2s (TBH) seem to be more stuck in their ways-- I just think he'd be a miserable boy.

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
We have a sitter come by to check on Loki, mostly because he gets bored and dumps the water dispenser. He is friendly toward her when we are home but hisses at her when we are gone. He takes treats from her and proceeds to hissing again after he swallows. Gotta love them!

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I feel bad leaving Louie because he is so attached to me, but I've got to travel for a few days at the end of this month. I feel that he needs special care, as I feel most F1's do because they are "one master" cats and will not respond to anyone but their master.

If anyone can recommend someone within 30 miles of 07712 zip code who can care for Louie for a few days then I'd be most grateful. Of course, I'll supply the food and litter.
Thanks.
Joe

PS: Last time I left him, I had a neighbor's kid feed him. Disaster because Louie marked his territory when the intruder encroached.

Are you in tinton falls, nj?

If you are- for a point of reference- I pay my sitter $50 a day. And none of my boys hiss or mark with strangers.... So you should expect to pay a sitter in the area much more IMHO.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Hi. I found my petsitter on https://www.petsit.com/ Someone on this forum was nice enough to send me the link. As it turns out, my sitter is also on AngiesList. I too had many issues in the past. My old sitter was the neighbor's kid and he was great until college, 2 jobs and a girlfriend got him distracted. LOL. I tried another one that a co-worker recommended. She spent the night and it cost me about $85 per day. What I found was that she really did not bond with my cats. They were well taken care of physically and the house looked great but.... My current sitter is great. On her first visit, she was down on her hands and knees within minutes trying to coach Jammu to play. He is shy around strangers so it took a while. She has sat with them twice so far. It costs me $40/day for two 1-hour visits. While their food is warming up, she entices them into play. She sends me IMs and pictures. When the cats decided to go on a play-strike, she asked for advice and was even willing to play "Can I jump this high" with Rafiki. This is where you place your arm behind a tapestry and wiggle your fingers on the other side. Rafiki will jump up and using her paws will bring your hand down. It takes a brave and determined pet sitter to actually play this with a Savannah! I would say that you need to find someone and get them to the house for several visits ASAP to see if Louie responds positively. I definitely find that keeping the cat in his own environment helps enormously as they are so adverse to change. I would also anticipate some savandalism to occur while you are away. As Louie has sprayed in response before, you may have to limit him to a room and not give him full run of the house.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
$85/day! Holy smokes! When I dog sat the most I charged was $25/day and I still had people trying to haggle :eek: