Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Breed question

maximumkitty

Savannah Kitten
I see a breeder online who has a liter of Chausie/Savannah kittens and I wanted to gauge this community to see what your thoughts are on this pairing.

The Stud was an Rare fertile F3 Jungle Cat Hybrid/Chausie and the female was an F2 Savannah. The kittens look like they will be quite large and ohhhh so cute.

Is this type of "breed mixing" frowned upon in this community? Sorry if any of these questions are very beginner, because I am.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Until a breeder can respond to your question, here's a snippet from the TICA Savannah Breed Section which states "Permissible outcrosses for the Savannah include the Domestic Shorthair (DS), Egyptian Mau (EM), Ocicat (OC), and Oriental Shorhair (OS)."

In the most general terms, having non permissible outcrosses in a Savannah's pedigree means that the cat's traits and behaviors may resemble the outcross more than the Savannah.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I see a breeder online who has a liter of Chausie/Savannah kittens and I wanted to gauge this community to see what your thoughts are on this pairing.

The Stud was an Rare fertile F3 Jungle Cat Hybrid/Chausie and the female was an F2 Savannah. The kittens look like they will be quite large and ohhhh so cute.

Is this type of "breed mixing" frowned upon in this community? Sorry if any of these questions are very beginner, because I am.
There's a thread about Domestic Wildcat cattery you might want to check out, maximumkitty...

It's not a cross I favor for one reason, the kittens lose a lot of both breeds hence start to look generic kitty... there's no GOOD reason for this cross. I'm not averse to using an outcross if there is an actual AIM to it, the wish to introduce a new color is a standard reason in the cat world to use an outcross in a program...or to improve ears or body type, etc. If the only reason is because they have that stud and they can't be bothered expending money on a good quality Savannah male... then I question their breeding ethics. For me, just breeding to produce "cute kittens" isn't enough, there's cute kittens in shelters. I breed to improve the breed, I look at the sequential generations from my cattery and I see progress. Breeding cats together that is going to produce more kittens that when they enter a shelter they cannot easily be identified as a given breed, well that's a death sentence to that kitty :-( JMHO.

Additionally, it is NOT that rare for an F3 Chausie male to be fertile. If it were a Savannah male YES that would be something, but the African Jungle Cat is closer to the domestic cat in relatedness hence they have not had to go as far from the exotic cat in generations to get fertility in males.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are folk here who have purchased from this cattery, you may want to read about their experiences here: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/domesticwildcat-com.3295/

As for crossing a Savannah and a Jungle Cat hybrid, I suspect this is done strictly for the hype of having the additional wild gene factor, which makes people think these cats are more exotic. I can think of no other reason to produce this cross otherwise. IMHO, the fact that they continue to breed the same pair over and over without any attempt to improve on either breed suggests that they really have no goal in mind other than to produce cute kittens to make money off of. There are probably a lot of breeders 'out there' doing the same thing, but it is not condoned by serious breeders whose goals are to promote and improve the breed, certainly not to produce pet quality kittens to sell off.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Uh...Max...please look at ethical, reputable breeders...there have been many issues with this particular breeder.