Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Brief Encounter

C

Coolcat

Well after a few meetings sv wants to attack my bengal.....GREAT.Will the sv mellow out once he gets fixed.

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
Most cats will become less aggressive once they're spayed or neutered, at least that's what I've read. As for your kitties getting along, you're likely going to have to put a lot of work into slowly introducing them. Another trick could be put your savannah's smell where your bengal is and your bengals smell where your savannah is. Take a cloth rub it on the kitties cheeks or even just fur, and then rub the cloth where the other kitty rubs against or sniffs.

Possibly if you have two crates put them next to each other for 5 minutes each hour for a few days?

Use google and look up ways to make integrating cats easier.

But the neutering of your cat should also help a lot as well.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, neutering may help... but as Brandy says introductions may need to be slow and easy. All kitties are different so the pace required has to be adjusted accordingly.

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
From what I've read about Feliway it's supposed to make cat's less stressed, I've never actually used it though. From another cat site I'm on, domestics react well to it. But that would not solve the issue of introducing two new cats. It takes time..

But it should not take up to a year... if it takes a year they will never likely get on completely but they will likely tolerate each other...

It could take several months for them to like each other if they are going to, but it could only take a few days. Depending how you do it. Google is your friend here. If something doesn't work, keep trying it but add other things as well.

Note: Do not try to introduce them when you know one is being grumpy or does not want to play at the moment. Watch it's interactions towards you and you can tell how amiable it would be to meeting new people or pets..

Kristin

Animal Communicator
A tip my vet gave me when I brought zeddie home was (after they had been around each other a bit) have them eat in the same room but not near each other. The food will distract them so they don't go at each other and when they finish eating she said they have a better understanding of one another because they "shared" a meal time. Worked with Tiger and Zeddie, but Tiger is 8 and lazy, and Zeddie is the pestering younger sister he just has to put up with

Xtine

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Mrs. CC, (we feel your pain) we went through a nerve splitting introduction with Malia and Rose. We even took them to our Vet so she could see for herself and help us to understand what was going on. Malia was relentless in her pursuit of attack on Rose (it was scary) Rose would growl, hiss, spit all with ears back and Malia would not heed. Then at the vet office Rose used a new sound a big MEOWOUCH and that worked and Malia stopped but did not let go (this went on for days).The Doctor really helped us, she explained that if they really wanted to hurt each other they could and they were not. It was a relief to know that Malia was not trying to kill Rose!!!!!!! It was Malia asserting her dominance and getting to know each other. Also it was us letting go of our fears and accepting what they had to do. Now they are doing great!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree...all cats have their own distinct personalities, likes, and dislikes; but from your experience with your own, can you give me a very general ballpark figure of how long a process this can actually be? Are we talking a possible year here?
Hard to say when I am not there to see how you are managing this... if one tries to rush things then one can set the process back and it ends up longer than if taken gradually in the first place. Most introductions are a matter of weeks when one of the cats is a kitten. As Xtine has suggested, sometimes you have to let go of your fears and let them work it out....