Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bringing home cat in a week...what to feed?

1ststatestereo

Savannah Super Cat
Hello,
What should I feed my cat? Is dry food as bad as I've been reading about?

The breeder says Iams with a bit of ground turkey. However, I've read that Iams is not that great.

Help me please.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You need to feed the cat whatever the breeder is feeding him. A sudden change in diet can upset the tummy and cause GI issues - especially if it is on top of the stress of moving to a new home. There are a lot of premium cat foods available, as well as raw, but whatever you choose, you need to wait at least a couple of weeks, then gradually transition him over to the new food by mixing a bit of the new in with the old and slowing increasing the new while decreasing the old every few days until he is completely switched over.

There are a lot of threads on this forum about what to feed your Savannah, just type in 'food' or 'diet' in the search box. What I usually recommend is to read the labels and try to avoid products that have grains listed in the first several ingredients, with a preference to having no grains at all.