Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bringing in a new cat into home..various scenarios

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Generally, introductions go easier between kittens and adults. But it is not impossible to bring an adult cat into a home with other adults. The introduction period may take longer but it has been done successfully. That does not mean that the cats will necessarily be best friends regardless of whether it's a kitten or an adult. They may just choose to peacefully co-exist. How the introduction of the new cat is conducted is as important as the temperament of the cats.

Enigmatic.eyez

Savannah Super Cat
So adult first? I'm trying to decide if I were to get an older savannah or kitten first. I posted a question regarding if a cat was a savannah or not.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If you have adult cats now, it would likely be easier to bring in a kitten/young cat (under 1 yr). If you have a kitten, either an adult or a kitten would be fine. Remember, it really depends on the personalities of the new cat and the cat(s) you already have. If you have mellow, non territorial cats, regardless of their ages, it would likely be easier to bring in a new cat regardless of its age.

I can't tell from that picture posted whether it is a savannah. Looks more like a domestic to me. Maybe a breeder will respond with better analysis.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think either scenario would not be too hard, as Deborah says a kitten and adult usually is relatively easy to introduce. You shouldn't just throw them together, but it isn't usually that long a process.

Thinking about it, if you had a choice, I probably would settle the adult first and then add the kitten. Just because an adult is going to be more concerned about changes...so letting them adapt to their new territory and human first before adding the kitten to the mix is going to be easier. The kitten is going to be more adaptable...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Deborah and Brigitte, in my experience it's easier to introduce a kitten into a cat household, and an adult in general will take more time to settle, but done properly either scenario can work - you just need to take the right steps to ensure proper introductions.