Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

BYB - Backyard Breeders

admin

Paige
Staff member
This post is going to be controversial and normally I would not say a word about another breeder, but since I own this forum and several other groups, am on the Savannah Breed Committee and part of Savannah Rescue, I felt it time to say a few words on this subject...I hope others will chime in...let me also say that this is first hand info - I would NOT publish third hand convos or info...

This thread is NOT for legitimate breeders, so we need not even go there...

Recently we have had two "breeders" in the community who have done way more harm than good to the savannah community...I'm sure there are many, many others, but these two are very public and have garnered much attention...

Aaron's Savannahs in Ohio - I spoke to him myself...bought a bunch of savannahs and decided to breed to make money in 2012...discovered it is not so easy, many of his kittens died because he could not take care of them or chose not to take care of them...did not take them to the vet, but kept breeding.

Keeps them in cages way too small for them (his words to me), they are in very small quarters and are sick...he doesn't know what diseases they have because he has not vetted them. Sold two sick kittens to someone as breeders and the kittens died shortly thereafter (he acknowledged this)...is continuing to sell them, albeit for $300, admitting they are sick...he said he just wants the kittens gone or will let them die...I spoke to him on behalf of savannah rescue and just to offer help...he agreed to help until he found out we would not be paying him...

Maybe what he doesn't get is that selling a sick kitten for $300 = heartache for the buyer...the poor kittens need veterinary care so they can get well and then and only then, should go to a wonderful home where they can have a wonderful life, which is what they deserve...

Chris Elliot - "breeder" in Texas (Denton County), where savannahs are completely illegal, but that did not stop him. Was selling sick savannah babies on a street corner in Dallas in 100 degree weather. Mary (on this forum), posted about him...

Was raided a couple of days ago...the conditions were so bad that all of the savannahs and siamese were removed. many charges of animal cruelty are pending against him. There is a lot more to this story, but because this is an ongoing case, I will leave it at that.

Savannah Rescue is involved in helping the babies in the Texas case, however, nothing will happen until after December 18th, due to the cats being used as evidence. Once the hearing is set, the court will decide what will happen to the cats. In Texas, euthanization is not unheard of, as in other states, where DWA's (dangerous wild animals), which is what savannahs are considered, are confiscated. Hopefully, the AC there will listen to reason and I believe I have them talked into sending the cats to a USDA facility, such as one of the breeders we know in Texas, who has such a license. They said they are not opposed to this...they do not want to euthanize the cats, BUT...their state law does not allow them to transfer the cats elsewhere...however, they may make an exception and are trying to do so...

I don't know what else to say and normally I would never post anything like this - but I am sick of these savannah babies suffering because of greed and stupidity by unethical, immoral BYB's...

I don't see that there will be a battle...
Well... My thought is- this is what everyone who owns a Savannah in an illegal area needs to see. I keep hearing all over the internet that there is no issue owning SVs in illegal areas, but the fact is- there is an issue! If this was a legal area, it'd be a lot easier for you to step in and help assist. But it's not.

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
Just today Chris Elliott had a sign posted on the same street corner where I got my sweet Havi. He also changed his FB profile picture to one of his SVs today. I am tempted to call him and inquire about his kittens, just to see what he is charging and if they are registered. Any vaccinations or health guarantees? And even perhaps to ask if they are legal to own in Denton County.

If AC has confiscated his cats and kittens why is his sign still up? I don't go that way every day so it could have up for a while.

Paige, thanks for posting this. There is no such thing as a cheap Savannah as I have found out. You will pay one way or another. Buyer beware..

Mary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

admin

Paige
Staff member
Just today Chris Elliott had a sign posted on the same street corner where I got my sweet Havi. He also changed his FB profile picture to one of his SVs today. I am tempted to call him and inquire about his kittens, just to see what he is charging and if they are registered. Any vaccinations or health guarantees? And even perhaps to ask if they are legal to own in Denton County.

If AC has confiscated his cats and kittens why is his sign still up? I don't go that way every day so it could have up for a while.

Paige, thanks for posting this. There is no such thing as a cheap Savannah as I have found out. You will pay one way or another. Buyer beware..

Mary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It may have been up for a while...he does not have those kittens or cats...I saw the profile pic changed.

I feel so sorry for all the babies that are born into a life like this with BYB who know nothing about the breed and just see $$$...and I'm sorry - the breeders who sell to these people are to blame as well!

Alicia

Savannah Super Cat
This is just horribly awful!!!! Not sure why it would be controversial? They should both be called out for what they have done!! Disgusting people!!!! I haven't been on here in ages but decided to check in today.... I am just so sorry to read about something like this. :'( the poor babies suffer as do their new owners and it all just breaks my heart.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Paige, I think we all benefit from the education that comes with discussion of difficult topics. And this is certainly an appropriate venue for such discussion. The situations you've described give AR groups validation for their efforts to eradicate breeders of any companion animal. Bringing the skeletons out of the closet into the light of day makes us stronger in the long run. I don't believe in "trashing" breeders. I do believe that those with poor husbandry practices or a history of producing unhealthy animals should be exposed. It does no good to the breeding community and potential buyers to keep this type of information closeted -- whether they are BYBs or registered catteries. The truth always comes out.

Now for the tough question. What measures can be put in place that will have a positive effect on preventing future similar situations?