Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Campylobacter Gastroenteritis

Cinamon

Savannah Child
I have 2 Savannah F3 boys, 14 month old litter mates named Rascal and Country Boy. Rascal was diagnosed with campylobacter gastroenteritis and put on flagyl. The vet said she wants to avoid erythromycin & tetracycline because those meds should not be given to a cat who is still growing, and said that they will grow up until age 2. I just want a healthy cat, and not concerned with size, unless it will physically affect comfort or cause other problems if he is given the other meds. What do you suggest? I am to call with update on Monday. Praying he feels better. :(

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Follow your vet's advice. Ask for more details about the affect on growth -- do those drugs affect bone, muscle, organ growth which can affect physical size? That would be a good reason to choose the Flagyl instead. All 3 of the drugs have side effects. Flagyl is an antiflammatory and an antidiarrheal which can help healing progress faster.

admin

Paige
Staff member
The problem is that Campy really does not go away with Flagyl...any idea how he got Campy? I know several savannah kittens diagnosed with Campy from eating whole prey chicks and they were not given Flagyl for the very reason I stated...

Cinamon

Savannah Child
The problem is that Campy really does not go away with Flagyl...any idea how he got Campy? I know several savannah kittens diagnosed with Campy from eating whole prey chicks and they were not given Flagyl for the very reason I stated...
No idea on where or how. No symptoms in his brother or our beagle. Strictly ondoor animals. We do not feed raw at all. I am very worried about my furbaby :(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member

Cinamon

Savannah Child
Rascal had diarrhea last Thursday evening, and then Friday morning. He threw up Friday morning as well, so I called the vet. I wasn't super worried about the 2 loose stools because he is "that cat" that loves to make you spill milk, lol. He started a probiotic on Monday, and had 3 doses of Onsior. At the time, I was more worried about an obstruction..the x-ray was negative. He didn't have significant improvement, vomitted last night, and had very foul smelling formed stool today, so I called the vet back and brought him in. He is still taking the probiotic daily, the flagyl twice daily, and cerenia daily for 8 days.We also started a prescription GI dry & canned food. Like I said, the other animals have no symptoms. We do not feed raw, and they are strictly indoor cats. I am feeling like I have done something to make him sick :(. I have no idea where he could have contracted the bacteria. I very much appreciated the well wishes, and could use some prayers. Everything I read says something different about outcome, and I am very worried and scared.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Cinamon, I have no experience with campylobacter, but I believe it is very treatable and common in many cats' guts, as Brigitte mentioned above. Stress can bring it on....so please do not blame yourself! I commend you for finding out what was wrong, getting him to the vet for diagnosis and treatment, and caring enough to post here your fears about his illness.

I hope he soon shows improvement, and recovers quickly and completely, as he should. Please keep us posted...we care :)