Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Can I Worm A Lactating Mom?

My Savannah recently gave birth. I'm noticing my kittens are displaying some very runny yellow diarrhea. I know you CAN'T worm the kittens but can I do anything for mom that could help make sure her and my kittens are worm free? Please let me know if so what I can use safely.

P.S. what is the best vaccine schedule for these little ones when the time comes? What shots will be safe for them to have, that they'll need. I don't have a local vet who specializes in Savannah's so it's going to come down to what I know and what vet I can find to give the right vaccines.

admin

Paige
Staff member
You don't need a special vet for savannahs...savannahs are not exotics, they are domestic cats, so any vet will be able to give them their vaccines...

They are very young to be having diarrhea...are they eating any solid food or just nursing? You can give something like Albon, but young kittens can get dehydrated very quickly, so I would call my local vet...after all they are kittens and most vets know how to care for them.

The cause of the diarrhea may be something else...

admin

Paige
Staff member
My Savannah recently gave birth. I'm noticing my kittens are displaying some very runny yellow diarrhea. I know you CAN'T worm the kittens but can I do anything for mom that could help make sure her and my kittens are worm free? Please let me know if so what I can use safely.

P.S. what is the best vaccine schedule for these little ones when the time comes? What shots will be safe for them to have, that they'll need. I don't have a local vet who specializes in Savannah's so it's going to come down to what I know and what vet I can find to give the right vaccines.
Shauna, where did you get your savannahs? Do you have a mentor? or is this just a one time litter...

I am not a breeder. She was a rescue that was brought to my property by a unwanted uneducated owner. I work with animals and things that's how she was aquired. As soon as she can be fixed she will be to avoid this in the future.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am not a breeder. She was a rescue that was brought to my property by a unwanted uneducated owner. I work with animals and things that's how she was aquired. As soon as she can be fixed she will be to avoid this in the future.
Ah, I see...well, thank you for taking her in and helping her..that being said, you need to contact a vet about the babies before they deteriorate from dehydration (diarrhea).

Patti

Admin
Staff member

If your kittens are having diarrhea my first thought would not be worms but some sort of intestinal infection. I agree with Paige about the Albon, amoxicillin is another option, but she is also right that they can also become dehydrated quickly and may need subq fluids. Unless you're comfortable with this I would get mom and kittens to the vet asap before something worse happens...

As for vaccines, the AVMA recommends you start vaccines between 6-8 weeks of age and give a series of three FVRCP. You will find differing personal opinions on this and many breeders only give two vaccines, on between 6-8 weeks of age and the second after 12 weeks old. You will also have to give rabies if your state requires it.

You will find differing opinions on using killed vs. modified live vaccines and can probably do a search of the forum to find those discussions, but bottom line there are pros and cons to both and in the end it will be your decision as to which you choose to use.

Per Lausund

Staff member
I agree. Focus on correcting dehydration, and give kitties something with lactobacilli in it, yoghurt is fine. Also, using Panacur on the mum is not known to be harmful to the kitties. As to vaccination, as Patti says opinions differ. I use live for mine, but never Chlamydophila vaccine. Ask your local vet. But rehydrate the kitties and get their tummies stable.