Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Can't prevent plant from being eaten

My little buddy has taken a liking for a particular house plant and I can't think of any more ways to keep her from snacking on it when I'm not home. I first tried simply placing tin foil around the pot and the cabinet top adjacent to it but she ripped it to shreads before getting to the leafs. Next I tried deterring her by applying the leaves with a bitter apple spray and that didn't stop her either. After that I tried out a motion detector that set up a high frequency audible alarm along with the bitter apple, no better. After all of this I gave up and picked up a stand to raise it up and away from her reach. That seemed to work fine up until she got bold with some acrobatic move to stretch out from on top of my record player. I began using the bitter apple again and still this is not enough.

Does anyone have some suggestion? I can't hang the plant at all, bitter apple and an audible alarm don't deter, and cleaning up bits of tin foil she liking ate as well won't work.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
For starters, I'd make sure the plant itself is not poisonous to cats. Eating the tin foil is not good either....

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/poisonplants.htm

http://www.myhealthycat.com/plants-poisonous-to-cats.html

Offer your kitty her own plants to munch on such as potted cat grass and perhaps she'll leave yours alone.

If it were me, I'd delegate the plant to a life outdoors, or in another room off limits to my cat. I've long ago given up any thought of house plants, lol.

Maybe others on the forum might have some thoughts on how to keep your plant safe inside :)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Here's a couple easy things to try.

Use some Apple Cider Vinegar in a spray bottle to spray around the pot and the base of the plant. There is also a commercial product available, Bitter Apple, but the vinegar works just as well.

Citrus peels also work well as cats just don't like the stuff. We have a few fruit bowls around the house to keep the cats away, plus I definitely like some fresh squeezed Margaritas and want to make sure I don't get scurvy.

Last resort, Cayenne Pepper. Definitely not real pleasant if they catch a whiff and pretty much keeps them away.

Hope that helps!

A

Alice

LOL my cat ate my rare orchids, absolutely destroyed my exotic fern, and trashed all my other plants!!! I'm sorry I'm afraid I'm not much help either... My beautiful collection is no more. Cats and plants don't seem to mix!!

LOL my cat ate my rare orchids, absolutely destroyed my exotic fern, and trashed all my other plants!!! I'm sorry I'm afraid I'm not much help either... My beautiful collection is no more. Cats and plants don't seem to mix!!
It's like French Bulldogs and gardens! My fat thing managed all types of acrobats to destroy my garden two years in a row!