Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Can't we all just get along

John Popp

Site Supporter
Lots been going on over the last couple weeks, our oldest cat Kebu was put down, our little guy got neutered and we have been purging a lot of Kebu's things, i.e. his bed, litter boxes and the like.

All seemed to be going well until after Monte returned home from the vet after his post surgery check up, and suddenly he is now totally at odds with Chongo. Chongo won't allow Monte near any toys, walks around moaning and groaning, occasionally thumping Monte with a paw (no claws). We can no longer play with them together, Chongo just leaves in a fit of jealousy and Monte is just distraught because his best buddy isn't being very nice to him.

Anyway, I assume it's something they'll sort out, just a bummer because they were getting along fabulously for the first two months. I'm unsure if it's a scent that Monte returned with from the vet, the absence of Kebu or some of his things. Whatever it is, I just hope it passes quickly so they can get back to being the best of buddies.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Definitely it can be the smell of the vet...you can try rubbing them over with the same towel so they smell the same...or spray some perfume on a towel and rub that on them both...

Or just give them time... how long has this gone on...not sure when Monte's surgery was.

With lots of changes, cats do get upset... and start having issues with each other just because they are stressed out. I guess we humans do that too, lash out unnecessarily because we are tense and anxious...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Brigitte! The neuter happened 2 weeks ago or so and the follow up just this monday. Certainly not a lot of time since, but nothing really started until the last trip to the vet.

I just did the vanilla on the nose trick and they are back to being buddies instantly. I'm just left shaking my head as I can't believe it was that easy.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks Brigitte! The neuter happened 2 weeks ago or so and the follow up just this monday. Certainly not a lot of time since, but nothing really started until the last trip to the vet.

I just did the vanilla on the nose trick and they are back to being buddies instantly. I'm just left shaking my head as I can't believe it was that easy.
Vanilla works almost every time! Glad to hear they are buddies again ;)

Funny how cats are like this. Some worry while their friend is gone and then as soon as they get home it's like ewww you stink I don't like you anymore. lol Our male Bengal got out one night via the doggie door. When we brought him back inside our female Bengal went into freak out mode and was hissing like crazy. Didn't know about the vanilla at that time, but did take the brush to her then brushed him. Then she was OK with him again. :rolleyes: And of course since then we had to remove the doggie door as our male Bengal is just too smart. He was the only one who figured it out. lol But it did take him over a year to do so at least. Poor dog can't run outside anytime she wants to bark at nothing.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm surprised it took a year to figure out the dog door... I'd not have given any cat that long before expecting them to get outside! Wow!

I know one owner that tried the dog door with the little thing on the dog's collar to unlock it, thinking that would stop her SV... the SV quickly worked out if he went through the dog door WITH the dog he could escape! LOL!

That's why we enclosed our little backyard so that we could have that dog door for the dog AND the cats... I did have the dog trained to ring a bell at the door when he needed a potty break, but the cats had learned also that this was a signal the door would be opening :-(