Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Carrier tantrums

Hello!
I’m a new F5 savannah owner and welcomed our new baby Osiris 2 weeks ago! He will be 3 months on the 26th of this month. He has a lovely personality and is such a cuddle bug. He is quite vocal which I know is a common trait with these babies. Unfortunately, he absolutely hates the carrier I use to transport him in. I am constantly running around doing errands and I like taking him with me since he’s so good on his leash and is usually very good on car rides. I’ve already tried 2 different carriers and he will usually cry at the top of his lungs until he’s out. Since I don’t want to cause him any unnecessary stress, any recommendations on getting him to be calmer in the carrier or would it just be easier to leave him home instead? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What size are the two carriers you've tried? Often cats will do better in something more like a medium dog crate than the carriers made for cats...those really are mostly useful for when you have to travel on a plane with them..

It might just be a case of persistence and small frequent trips and he will improve.... as only two weeks in and he's not even three months old? He's still such a baby, you could easily give him a little more time to settle into all his life changes before taking him about with you.

You could also look into small dog seatbelt harnesses and not having him in the carrier but safely attached to a seatbelt. Something like this... https://smile.amazon.com/Mighty-Paw...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

What size are the two carriers you've tried? Often cats will do better in something more like a medium dog crate than the carriers made for cats...those really are mostly useful for when you have to travel on a plane with them..

It might just be a case of persistence and small frequent trips and he will improve.... as only two weeks in and he's not even three months old? He's still such a baby, you could easily give him a little more time to settle into all his life changes before taking him about with you.

You could also look into small dog seatbelt harnesses and not having him in the carrier but safely attached to a seatbelt. Something like this... https://smile.amazon.com/Mighty-Paw...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thank you so much for your advice! Yes I was using a small carrier since it’s the one I take him to the vet in so I will definitely need to get a crate. I had only taken him with me a few times with me not everyday but I agree maybe I should wait before taking him out more frequently, I just felt bad leaving him when I knew it would just be a short car ride. Thank you I will definitely look into that seat belt harness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk