Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cat food research-what to look for

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Okay so I plan to switch to a raw diet Down the road. But in the mean time I was curious as to how good his current "holistic" cat food was. I saw a couple things I didn't fully agree with. At least when it comes to the best option out of a dry kibble product. Currently is on Solid gold indigo moon. It's first ingredient by weight is chicken meal. Why meal? and then there is fish meal. And salmon oil. I had seen earlier that you have to watch fish in male cats diets because it causes kidney stones and crystallization. It includes yucca and rosemary.. also heard are toxic? I had found what seems like the best mix so far can you critique? It's called natural balance
chicken and pea

Crude Protein 30.0% minimum
Crude Fat 12.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Taurine 0.1% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% minimum

Peas, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Pea Protein, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, DL-methionine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I have sorted through 20 of the "top grain free dry cat foods" compared and this is what I found to not have any fish, grains, starches. It relies on veggies for carbs.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I like reading the dog food review site when looking up dry and wet foods. The cat food and dog food brands are same so can basically cross the recommendation over. This brand received poor reviews as it is mainly plant based with min. Animal protein. See below:
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets is a plant-based kibble using a modest amount of named meats and meat meals as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 2.5 stars.
Not recommended.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Can you please verify the fish statement? I've never heard that before. I've just heard that stones are caused in cats mainly because they don't drink enough water.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I hadn't gotten a chance to look at reviews just yet. Ill take a look.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I would definately want protien, meats as main ingredient. I just liked how they use veggies as the main source of carbs. Gluten and grain cause inflammation and issues with digestion an obvious reason to avoid.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Sadly the only thing that matches what I want in the cats diet is a raw freeze dried food like Stella and chewys lol and I didn't want to skip to raw just yet. how do potatoes impact a cats health? And why do cat food companies use chicken meal, fish meal, etc.

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/why-fish-is-dangerous-for-cats/
This link addresses my concern for fish in kibble.

And upon trying to find where I saw that fish can cause stones and crystals I came across this. I stand corrected..http://www.catforum.com/forum/38-he...oncerns-about-fish-based-cat-foods-flutd.html

I don't want to be out of line here, and this is just my opinion, but there is a lot of info on the internet, even though the fish article has an author with a DVM behind her name, she is not sourcing any scientific articles to her claims, so IMO I would not take all those links to heart. I can find snipits of articles on the internet and write a blog and convince people of my opinion. I know fish is getting a bad rap and understandably so with farm raised and mercury levels but with kibble in general, the sources of meat usually aren't great cuts of lean clean meat but leftovers and rejects from packing plants. Unfortunately we can argue about peas being evil gmo. I would not worry too much about fish in food but defiantly concentrate on feeding high quality and giving best quality of life. I can see from all your research that you love your little guy and will do
The best for the kitten.