Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat hair

Quick question,

despite regular vacuuming & cleaning, cat hair seems to find it's way into everything. Reading general tips on the net, some recommend air purifiers/filters, others regular brusing/grooming (e.g. Furminator), others say just accept it.

Being an indoor cat, shedding occurs all year round. While not allergic to cats, I would still like to keep the apartment as free from stray cat hair as possible.

What do people here find works the best in keeping stray hair to a minimum?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You could try weekly bathing of the cat, or those pet wipes.

Acceptance is the best bet...one could drive oneself crazy trying to eliminate all cat hair, although choosing a hairless cat breed like the Sphynx or Peterbald would also help no doubt ;-)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hmmm...I vacuum a lot, dust a lot, have an air filter through my furnace and a hospital grade air filter in my bedroom...but stray hairs are always going to be around unfortunately...I also brush my cats, but they do not seem to shed much...

Diet seems to play a role in ho much cats may shed as well...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Give up. Really. There is no fighting it. One day I was up in the attic of my first house. I had to get into the attic from the ceiling of the garage. There is no connection to the house. I get up into the attic and crawl around, and holy cow. There is cat fur all over the place. For crying out loud, there is no way a cat was ever up there, no air flow from the house, and the ceilings are all intact. And its the right color of fur so I know which cat it came from.
I swear the universal pollutant on this planet is cat fur!

Katniss

And her brother Crazy !
Give up. Really. There is no fighting it. One day I was up in the attic of my first house. I had to get into the attic from the ceiling of the garage. There is no connection to the house. I get up into the attic and crawl around, and holy cow. There is cat fur all over the place. For crying out loud, there is no way a cat was ever up there, no air flow from the house, and the ceilings are all intact. And its the right color of fur so I know which cat it came from.
I swear the universal pollutant on this planet is cat fur!
Cheap insullation!!! :lol:

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I have reactive airway syndrome as a result of a lung injury, so I need to keep our home as cat-hair free as possible. My lungs can be set off by very minor things, so we are pretty careful.

We have hard wood floors and a dyson. We use air filters. D and Mickey get regular baths once a month (Jarvis doesn't shed as much, so I don't bathe him). All three kitties like to be groomed. As others said, there will always be some cat hair around, it is just a question of how much.

As NikkiA said, there will allways be some cat hair around, it's just a question of how much. Right now there's too much ;).

Is there anything special about a Dyson? We have a Siemens vacuum with HEPA filter. I was thinking that getting an air filter may work, but am unsure what kind would help the most.

I'm sure she'd love to be groomed, what do people recommend for kittens? A regular steel comb? Brush? Will something like a Furminator remove too much undercoat, or are they ok to use?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!