Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat has patch of hair missing

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
Hey, so Nero my melanistic F4 has had a growing patch of missing fur on his side for weeks now. He had ringworm, so I kind of attributed it to that. But now he's clear of ringworm, and the patch grew. I took him to the vet last week, and they commented on him having dry and flaky skin in that area, so they did a Biopsy on him .The results came back yesterday all normal, no fungus or any hidden worms. So it kind of comes down to if he's excessively scratching at that spot, and if he is; Why?

I haven't seen him concentrate on his right side any more than he does on the left. Does anyone have any Ideas?

Additional Note: He was shedding excessively, I can't comment on it currently because he's been wearing forms of clothing to cover up where the biopsy was done.

His diet: Feline's pride (chicken), Mazuri supplement, Taurine Supplement, Salmon oil, and mix in canned food with every meal.

By the way, he is SUPER not happy at what I have him wearing right now. :roflmao: 59208_10100373482924130_464371166_n.jpg

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
Any chance he's been exposed to fleas? One bite can cause a similar reaction.
Fleas weren't specifically discussed. He's been thoroughly looked over by his vet and he's been in very close proximity to me since I received him. He's recently started to sleep by my head at night, so at this point I would probably find out the bad way if he had fleas. So answering without confirming for sure, but with the information I just gave you, I would imagine that he doesn't have fleas.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
That's good. I had a DSH who lost patches of hair due to flea bite allergy. I never found fleas on her but she was definitely getting bitten from fleas brought in the house on the dogs. Poor girl had to be on prednisolone. It was a mess.

If there's nothing wrong with him physically, there could be a zillion things causing it that only trial and error might find. How about a contact allergy to some substance in the house (clothes softener, cleaning solution) or perhaps he's developing an allergy to something in his diet. Have you tried a different protein other than chicken? Maybe try goose or duck.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
That's good. I had a DSH who lost patches of hair due to flea bite allergy. I never found fleas on her but she was definitely getting bitten from fleas brought in the house on the dogs. Poor girl had to be on prednisolone. It was a mess.

If there's nothing wrong with him physically, there could be a zillion things causing it that only trial and error might find. How about a contact allergy to some substance in the house (clothes softener, cleaning solution) or perhaps he's developing an allergy to something in his diet. Have you tried a different protein other than chicken? Maybe try goose or duck.
...great ideas, Deborah! And along those lines of a contact allergy...have you changed your laundry soap, hair products, etc, since you say he is sleeping by your head? What about his litter...have you changed that? I know of cats that developed allergies to pine or corn litter and had hair loss and flaky skin.

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
When I first got him, I ordered a variety pack of Turkey, Duck, Chicken, and Rabbit. Chicken is the only one he would go for. I'm giving him about a teaspoon a day of salmon oil as per what the packaging on it suggests for cats under 10lbs. I noticed this patch early when I first received him. It was only the size of a dime back then, and only really visible if he stretched out. It then slowly became larger which is why I was concerned. While the ring worm went away, the patch stayed and became larger.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Can you taker that get up off of him and get away from the chicken for a short time? If it is stress, the spot may get worse because I'm sure he is super stressed by being dressed up ;)

Does Dr Pla have any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
How much bigger is the patch now? I ask because what can happen with ringworm is that you see a patch, but the fungus has also infected much of the hair shafts around that hairless patch of skin. So you treat the ringworm but that hair has died anyway and drops out... so it is possible that this might be attributed to that? How long ago did he break with the ringworm? And has he been tested twice two weeks apart to confirm the ringworm is gone?