Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat Scratch Fever

L

Louie'sDad

The song, not the disease. Around what age does a Savannah's urge to scratch kick in?

Christina_

Savannah Super Cat
I found that Sofia started to scratch at the sisal-wrapped post on her cat tree within 2 days after her quarantine period when she was allowed in the rest of the house. We had a cardboard-type scratch post (inclined) in her quarantine room and she started on that within a few days. I find the ones that came with the catnip were more attractive for her.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
From an early age... just when they are very little kittens they can't retract their claws. I'm not sure what you mean by "urge to scratch", do you mean use a scratching post or use their claws to do things?

Christina_

Savannah Super Cat
From an early age... just when they are very little kittens they can't retract their claws. I'm not sure what you mean by "urge to scratch", do you mean use a scratching post or use their claws to do things?
Good point. I figured it meant urge to scratch a post (or post-like material object),

L

Louie'sDad

Well, I figure that when instinct overcomes a cat, his urge to scratch takes over, and he does as his nature dictates. Yes, as a matter of course Louie uses his claws to do things, like climb, hold onto things, hold onto a purchase, etc. To my way of thinking, the "urge to scratch" is when he uses his claws for seemingly irrational things, like scratching a post, scratching furniture, rugs, chairs, etc. I suppose this also means "kneading".

The reason I ask this, is that Louie, at almost 4 MO, has so far shown no inclination to scratch anything. He occasionally "kneads" for a few seconds at one of the chair cushions, but that's all. I introduced him to a sisal scratching post a few days ago, and he goes at the teaser feathers with claws extended, but the "urge" to scratch that post has not kicked in.:)

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
He may not like sisal, or he might not like that iteration of sisal... some cats prefer cardboard scratchers for example...some like horizontal ones and others need it to be vertical.

I don't regard scratching posts an "irrational" thing, there are many reasons a cat does this.
http://www.catcaresociety.org/scratch.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/article-applied-behavior/why-cats-scratch-things
great articles! I just read through the second one.

L

Louie'sDad

He may not like sisal, or he might not like that iteration of sisal... some cats prefer cardboard scratchers for example...some like horizontal ones and others need it to be vertical.

I don't regard scratching posts an "irrational" thing, there are many reasons a cat does this.
http://www.catcaresociety.org/scratch.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/article-applied-behavior/why-cats-scratch-things
I have a cardboard floor scratcher as part of a toy where a captured ball goes around, much like a ball in a roulette wheel. Lou likes to push the ball around and catch it, but he doesn't scratch the cardboard.

I had a feeling you'd say that.:) I'll further qualify it by adding "irrational from a human perspective".

The question remains unanswered. I'm happy that he's not inclined to scratch anything (yet?). Maybe he never will? I've humanized him to such a great extent in my mind that maybe some of it is getting through to him by osmosis.

Thanks for the links.

Joe

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's not irrational from my (human) perspective either. Just because I don't speak cat doesn't mean I don't think they have good reasons for doing what they do (or don't do).

I don't know with Louie whether there just is not the scratcher that appeals to him, or he doesn't feel the urge as some of the reasons they postulate for cats scratching is communication with other cats so if Louie is an only cat then there's no other kitties for him to be communicating with this way.

I've had cat trees with sisal posts that none of the cats showed much interest in, but purchase of another type of sisal furniture was immediately pounced on. It's like cat toys, we try to anticipate what they would want to play with but sometimes it is just trial and error.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I have a cardboard floor scratcher as part of a toy where a captured ball goes around, much like a ball in a roulette wheel. Lou likes to push the ball around and catch it, but he doesn't scratch the cardboard.
Try putting some catnip on the cardboard so that it falls inside the corrugations. I used that to jump start the kitties to the scratching medium.