Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat tooth disease contagious... Questions

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Ok so my neighbor has a cat that has some sort of dental dose as that is caused by a virus. The first time she took the cat to the vet I lent her my small carrier that I don't use anymore. When I learnt of what her cat was diagnosed with and that it is contagious I haven't used the carrier since even thought we washed it out. I have a second carrier that is larger that I use for time out... Yes Loki and pooty go In time out when they are bad. Oddly it's the only thing that works. And works quite well. Well today Loki was being a devil he peed in Adams shoe (even though the litterbox is clean) opened his present again, and shredded my phone charger. I went to put him in time out and the carrier is no where to be seen... I angrily call my boyfriend turns out he lent my big carrier to the neighbors because he was too lazy to I into the spare room closet and grab the other one.... So now I'm worried I won't have a carrier that's not infected with her cats virus carrying drool (she drools all lot) and is supposed to go get her teeth pulled tomorrow. There has to be a way to effectively kill the virus so I can use my carrier again. But I can't find anything. Should I boil water to clean it? Does Lysol work? It's a virus and not a bacteria so I don't know how this works I just want to punch my boyfriend for being lazy... Obviously I'm still p/oed while I'm writing this... This day has been so irritating if I wasn't stuck with all this holiday themed work I would have been able to give Loki the attention he wanted and this whole thing would have been avoided. I'm also irritated that something smells like pee and I can't find it.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Good point yes I must find a black light bulb I have one somewhere. And thank you I'll have lazy boy clean them for me. I'm all super paranoid obviously I don't want my boys to go through the same thing my neighbors cat is going through

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Clean it with bleach - a 1:10 solution (10% bleach, 90% water) should kill anything. Best method would be to completely soak it in this solution for a minimum of 10 minutes and up to an hour. If you are unable to completely submerge it in a bleach solution then pour the solution generously all over the crate and let it sit 10-60 minutes. Either way, be sure to thoroughly rinse the crate prior to using it for the cats.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I'll fill my bathtub up and do half at a time. Thanks patti. Think some vinegar in te mix might help? Couldn't hurt right?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Bekki, if you know what the virus is, look it up on the internet or call your vet and find out what it takes to kill it in the environment. Bleach or Lysol should work but some of these buggers are immune to nearly everything. The acidity of the vinegar will help if it is a virus that is sensitive to acid. Some viruses are immune to acid and others thrive in acidic environments.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
OK so I found this http://www.allfelinehospital.com/stomatitis.pml If it is stomatitis, it is caused by a variant of the calici virus which is immune to most common disinfectants. So, find out for sure if this is what it is, and it sure sounds like it is, and then talk to your vet about whether the carrier can be adequately disinfected or if you should get a new one. I found info on calici virus that said it can live up to 1 month in the environment but that does not necessarily apply to whatever variant causes the dental disease.