Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat with behavior problems, aggressiveness

AZ Sadie

Savannah Kitten
I just don't what I am going to do with my boy. I have had him for about 6 months and he is 2 year old. When I first brought him home he was scared of my little female bengal, but not anymore. he is always after her and pins her down and he is over 2 times her size. She is terrified of him. I can't ever have them anywhere close. I had him on leash last week and when he saw her he pulled so I reached down to bring him back closer to me when he actually bit me. Last night same thing but I had him tethered and when he couldn't get to her he tried to attack me. I have tried a calming collar on him, and tethering him. My son says you should not tether any animal and I feel bad that I am doing this. the first time I did it my little girl went and got up on an adjoining chair where they were perfectly calm and only a foot apart then they kissed. I just do not understand the behavior. Another time he broke the cord and I found him behind a door and she was lying on the other side. Go figure!!!
I try to play with him to tire him out thinking he may leave her alone but he doesn't seem to want to play most of the time.
If anyone has ever had this kind of problem I would appreciate some other ideas on how to handle this situation. I am just about ready to take him back.
I also tried putting him in a large wire crate but he just couldn't stand that at all.
I have to rotate them from room to room so at times one of them has the house to themselves.
I also have an old female russian blue but he leaves her alone.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I just don't what I am going to do with my boy. I have had him for about 6 months and he is 2 year old. When I first brought him home he was scared of my little female bengal, but not anymore. he is always after her and pins her down and he is over 2 times her size. She is terrified of him. I can't ever have them anywhere close. I had him on leash last week and when he saw her he pulled so I reached down to bring him back closer to me when he actually bit me. Last night same thing but I had him tethered and when he couldn't get to her he tried to attack me. I have tried a calming collar on him, and tethering him. My son says you should not tether any animal and I feel bad that I am doing this. the first time I did it my little girl went and got up on an adjoining chair where they were perfectly calm and only a foot apart then they kissed. I just do not understand the behavior. Another time he broke the cord and I found him behind a door and she was lying on the other side. Go figure!!!
I try to play with him to tire him out thinking he may leave her alone but he doesn't seem to want to play most of the time.
If anyone has ever had this kind of problem I would appreciate some other ideas on how to handle this situation. I am just about ready to take him back.
I also tried putting him in a large wire crate but he just couldn't stand that at all.
I have to rotate them from room to room so at times one of them has the house to themselves.
I also have an old female russian blue but he leaves her alone.

First...how did you originally introduce him to your bengal? Did you quarantine him and introduce slowly? You may have to do this all over again if you want them to get along.

Next, where did you get him? Seems as though you haven't had him long and say you are ready to give him back...tethering is NOT acceptable, so please do not do that...

He is in the teenage stage...he wants to show his dominance over the Bengal...feliway diffusers throughout the house, calming collar and perhaps contacting the cat coach, marilyn Krieger may help...

AZ Sadie

Savannah Kitten
First...how did you originally introduce him to your bengal? Did you quarantine him and introduce slowly? You may have to do this all over again if you want them to get along.

Next, where did you get him? Seems as though you haven't had him long and say you are ready to give him back...tethering is NOT acceptable, so please do not do that...

He is in the teenage stage...he wants to show his dominance over the Bengal...feliway diffusers throughout the house, calming collar and perhaps contacting the cat coach, marilyn Krieger may help...

Yes, I kept him in a separate room for several weeks before I allowed him to roam the house. At first they played together and them all of a sudden this aggressiveness started. I am afraid he may kill her. I am also now afraid of him since he tried to attack me.
I have tried the calming collar. What is fellway diffusers? I talked with a behavior expert who only told me to have them in the same room or area but at complete opposite ends. One person plaing with him and another playing with her and eventually getting them closer while playing. Only problem is I don't have another person that I can try this.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, I kept him in a separate room for several weeks before I allowed him to roam the house. At first they played together and them all of a sudden this aggressiveness started. I am afraid he may kill her. I am also now afraid of him since he tried to attack me.
I have tried the calming collar. What is fellway diffusers? I talked with a behavior expert who only told me to have them in the same room or area but at complete opposite ends. One person plaing with him and another playing with her and eventually getting them closer while playing. Only problem is I don't have another person that I can try this.

But how did you introduce them? Did you just let him out after several weeks...Feliway diffusers plugin to the wall and can be used in all rooms...is this boy neutered?

Also, can you please choose a gender in your profile so we don't have to look at a question mark ;)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have a bully cat and 3 weeks ago, I started him on Prozac and his behavior did a total turn around and the house is at peace. I don't advocate drugs unless it's a last resort. You can try reintroducing them again. There are tips for that here http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/introducing-a-new-cat-into-the-family.4746/ but I think if it's feasible, you should start with a phone consult with Marilyn Krieger http://thecatcoach.com

And depending on what she tells you or what suggestions do or don't work, talk to your vet about trying Prozac for a while. Maybe try it while you are doing the reintroduction. It's possible that after another introduction and a short time on the drug, he may settle down and live in peace with the Bengal.

Also, if he appears less aggressive when tethered, perhaps using a calming jacket for awhile may help. It's typically used to help with anxiety but maybe it will help with his dominance issues too http://www.thundershirt.com/Product...tem_guid=04a62476-dd84-4c67-ae9b-83f2fb67db81

SlugMaster

Site Supporter
[quote="
[/quote]

One thing I do with all three of my cats is make sure they have some active play every day. Either a walk outside (they will line up when it is nice out) or feather play or laser pointer chase. It makes a big difference in their behavior. Especially for my year and half old F2. He is very active. I also use the feliway diffuser and can tell when they run out. The aggressive behavior you are seeing is not normal. Good luck!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your boy has some dominance issues, and if your girl is running from him it is probably triggering his prey instinct. His attack on you is called feline redirected aggression and not terribly uncommon, but it can be dangerous so you need to be aware of it. Here is a link with more info: http://www.cathospitalofchicago.com/online-cat-health-library/feline-redirected-aggression

I agree with Deborah that you should consider a feline behavioralist such as Marilyn Krieger, she can do a consult with you over the phone. There are a few things that may help, including starting over again with the introductions as others have suggested, also providing more vertical space in the home (shelves, cat trees, etc.) if you don't already have it, or even an outdoor enclosure with a cat door so he can go in and out. Clicker training is another tool that can help teach him to accept her, but that can be time consuming. There is also a book called Cat vs. Cat byPam Johnson-Bennett that might have some helpful suggestions. You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Vs-Keeping-Peace-When/dp/0142004758

AZ Sadie

Savannah Kitten
I have done a phone consultation with a behaviorist. One of the things she suggested is something called feelway which I can't afford. I am trying Bach Flower remedies. Giving him Vine. She is partly to blame too as when he gets anywhere near her and just puts his face near hers she get frightened and starts growling which then starts him off and he chases her and at times they really get into it. I have talked to a vet and told her what I am doing by giving her the whole house all night and he goes into a separate room and then he gets the house during the day and she goes into a room by herself . I was concerned about them being confined but have asked several vets and they feel it is OK. I have started her on the Bach Mimilus which is supposed to help her to not be frightened. Tried the Rescue remedy which did nothing and I am just wondering if what I am giving them will actually worked or not. He is not one who likes to play as he would rather just sit on my lap. I guess I will just have to keep them apart and keep doors locked as he can open doors. I am just hoping when I go on vacation my sitter doesn't have a problem with them.
He has also wet around the house so I took him to vet who put him on antibiotics as he has a slight crystal problem with his urine. I hope that was the only reason he was wetting and it doesn't continue.
At this point I am thinking that giving him back to the shelter would not be in his best interest since he is so attached to me. That is why I am trying to keep them separated. I don't really think they will ever get along. I can only hope that someday they may at least just tolerate each other.
One thing that puzzles me is that he gets along with my 15 year old female Russian Blue. Maybe it is that the breeds of Savannah and Bengal never can get along peacefully.
I have vertical shelves for them up my 20 ft wall which is his shortcut to go upstairs instead of the stairs. right now since the weather is so great I have one of them outside on an enclosed patio for part of the time.
I just don't know what else I can do and have exhausted everything.
Also, he only attached me that one time. I guess I just got in his way when he was trying to get to her. I learned to not physically interfere. I had tried spraying him with water but now he is just so used to it that it doesn't even bother him.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Sadie feilaway diffusers cost about $40 a month.... Can you wiggle your budget around to at least try it?