Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cats ruining a relationship

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Help! I have two 3 year-old savannas
they are brothers and came from the same litter. I let them go all over the counters and do what they like. When I bring them to my fiancé’s house he has a problem with them on the counter because of the germs but he seems to have developed a tolerance.

Where there is no tolerance, and I don’t blame him, is the cats keep knocking down all his plants onto the floor in the entire pot of dirt goes all over the floor. They jump up and knock down all of his picture frames and everything everywhere. It is really causing troubles in our relationship.

Any advice here?

I don’t really want to part with my cats…but if I have to I will…

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm so sorry that this is causing drama in your relationship, mostly because with high energy cat breeds like the Savannah, knocking over plants and picture frames is par for the course. They don't mean to be destructive but plants seem like cat toys and if they aren't knocking them over they would chew on them or dig up the soil. I'm not sure there's a fix for that.
Is there any way to possibly divide up the space so that they can be kept when unsupervised in an area that is more cat-proofed... and then allow out when you are home to supervise their mischief?

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Simple good idea- yes I can put them in the office area. Part of the Robles is we WERE home but in other rooms!

I guess I could quarantine them to the large office area_

We have to close all our doors bedroom , family room, bathrooms- even when we are here

Vito

Site Supporter
I agree with Brigitte on this one, as she says the mischief the savs are getting up-to is simply par for the course in having Savannah's, to them their behavior isn't them trying to be naughty, their simply having fun, just Savannah's being Savannah's.
A separate room/area is all I can think of here too, do your guys get outside on harnesses, you could try tiring them out this way so that they can burn off some of that extra energy, I know that when my guys come back from an outing they like lazy time and are more chilled.
Please don't consider rehoming them just yet, I'm sure a solution will be possible.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Simple good idea- yes I can put them in the office area. Part of the Robles is we WERE home but in other rooms!

I guess I could quarantine them to the large office area_

We have to close all our doors bedroom , family room, bathrooms- even when we are here
Jsut think about making that office area a fun and pleasant place for them to hang out... think of shelving and scratchers and window perches and cozy beds.

whitekickboxing

Savannah Super Cat
Hi,

Outside is an excellent idea, I have never harness trained them for that- once about 2 years ago I tried to harness one and he went ballistic and ultimately got it off.

That said, more action for them would certainly seem logically like it would help. I do realize that this breed is very smart, curious and needs stimulation.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful suggestions.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hi,

Outside is an excellent idea, I have never harness trained them for that- once about 2 years ago I tried to harness one and he went ballistic and ultimately got it off.

That said, more action for them would certainly seem logically like it would help. I do realize that this breed is very smart, curious and needs stimulation.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful suggestions.
Is a catio off a window or door an option perhaps?

SAVANNAHGANS®

Savannah Child
Help! I have two 3 year-old savannas
they are brothers and came from the same litter. I let them go all over the counters and do what they like. When I bring them to my fiancé’s house he has a problem with them on the counter because of the germs but he seems to have developed a tolerance.

Where there is no tolerance, and I don’t blame him, is the cats keep knocking down all his plants onto the floor in the entire pot of dirt goes all over the floor. They jump up and knock down all of his picture frames and everything everywhere. It is really causing troubles in our relationship.

Any advice here?

I don’t really want to part with my cats…but if I have to I will…
Ours do whatever they like, but thankfully, we both tolerate it and look for fixes where they can be fixed. I use museum putty on the bottoms of my plant's pots (and check for toxicity as more plants, than not, are toxic to cats). I'd hate to see you rehome them for this, so I encourage you to keep looking for common ground.
Declutter as much as possible and put items you're not using in cupboards and closets to decrease the temptation to get on the counters. I find the more clutter we have there, the more intriguing to them.

Vito

Site Supporter
Ours do whatever they like, but thankfully, we both tolerate it and look for fixes where they can be fixed. I use museum putty on the bottoms of my plant's pots (and check for toxicity as more plants, than not, are toxic to cats). I'd hate to see you rehome them for this, so I encourage you to keep looking for common ground.
Declutter as much as possible and put items you're not using in cupboards and closets to decrease the temptation to get on the counters. I find the more clutter we have there, the more intriguing to them.
100 % Agree with you, ours go/do whatever they like also, I really hope whitekickboxing finds a solution that works for them all.