Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat's toy's after a cat's gone...

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
Okay so maybe I have odd thinking here but maybe not. It's the way I feel and I'm going to express it and I'm interested in how other's feel.

When Neka had to be put down because of lymphoma, I was obviously crushed and I've kept all of her cat toys and her harness, along with pics and video's obviously. Anyway when I got Sabriel a month later I didn't really have her use any of Neka's toys, I got her new one's and have kept Neka's toys in a bag in a box downstairs. Her two favorite toys and her harness I have with a picture of her on my wall (the toy's and harness are on a small shelf). Her other toys, aside from a squirrel that I gave to Sabriel to play with I more or less kept separate and didn't think that Sabriel could get them until she did tonight...

When I saw her playing with it, at first I was like how in the world did she get it. I didn't say anything, I didn't take it from her, I let her keep the toy she got and I'll let her continue to play with it - as she's played with that one more just tonight than Neka ever did. But with the other toys do I give them to Sabriel? Seeing them out makes me think of Neka more and more, and how things could have been if she didn't get sick. But hell it's been like 7 months now, I need to get over it already. Unfortunately my brain and my heart don't seem to be communicating on that factor.

Anyway with you guys - when a pet has passed did you share it's toys with your next pet? Sabriel does btw have Neka's old cat tree's and such, just not her toys... Maybe I'm odd to feel the way I do but it would be nice to know that maybe someone else felt the same way?...

DChap

Site Supporter
I'm sure it's a personal thing and there will be different responses but for me the only thing I've been able to have Tojo use of my dear beloved Jasmine has been her litter box. We have had through the years several dogs as well and I have saved some special toys from each and have not brought them out for the new pups. I just can't but I'm sure others probably do. Although since Sabriel has discovered it on her own and seems to enjoy it then maybe it's meant to be?

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
We lost our beloved Toonces, a tortie, almost 3 years ago. We got her free at a garage sale when she was about 8 weeks old, and she was 21 years 4 months when she went to the Rainbow Bridge. She never had a lot of toys because her favorite was free. She absolutely adored playing with the protective plastic ring that comes off the cap from a gallon of milk. She would play 'fetch' with it for hours. Every time she lost a whisker over the years, we would save it, and they are placed with her ashes in a beautiful cloisonne' box. Even though we have 3 cats to fill our hearts, nobody can take the place of Toonces. I still slip up and call Cleo by her name sometimes...just yesterday, in fact. There also have been times when I caught a glimpse of colorful fur fly past me when I knew that my other cats were napping. I believe your loved ones never leave you...Toonces has proven that to me beyond a shadow of a doubt! 64827_165430636806488_6918218_n.jpg In loving memory of Toonces ~ March 1989-July 2010~

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Sweet story, Mrs CC :)

I think it is a personal decision, Brandy DW, dependent on YOUR comfort level and the situation. For my purposes, I've a multipet household so the toys are not so separated as with your situation between your last cat Neka and your current cat Sabriel. Each cat here has a toy they prefer but they are in general use. I think that if Neka's two favorite toys are saved separately then allowing Sabriel to play with the others should be okay. But truly, if it disturbs you then secure them so Sabriel can't get to them (which as she is kept in only one room shouldn't be too hard) and make sure she has new ones...

Kristin

Animal Communicator
My bunny passed last April. Instead of getting another rabbit, I got Zeddie, but a few weeks ago I called her Charmyn. Two very different species...Charmyn never made the mess Zeddie does :p
I kept Charmyn's toys, and her cage is still set up (mostly because it is very heavy and will take manpower to get it to the garage). I was thinking about donating them to a rabbit rescue but I just can't bring myself to do it. I hope to get a bunny again some day, so I think I will save them for then.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I plan to have a custom portrait made of both my boys and eventually Isis. They are my children, when they eventually pass they will be able to continue to look down on me as I wait to join them. Most likely will get a remembrance paw print tattoo over my heart, saw that maybe here or on BengalTalk and loved it. The boys are turning 5 next month but gosh, if I don't get teary eyed just thinking about when that day comes as I type! Toys and the like are all shared at my place. Each is handled completely different from the rest, so trying to capture these mannerisms as best I can outside of pics and video requires some creative thinking. I hope that's not for another 15+ years.

Brandy DW

Sweet story, Mrs CC :)

I think it is a personal decision, Brandy DW, dependent on YOUR comfort level and the situation. For my purposes, I've a multipet household so the toys are not so separated as with your situation between your last cat Neka and your current cat Sabriel. Each cat here has a toy they prefer but they are in general use. I think that if Neka's two favorite toys are saved separately then allowing Sabriel to play with the others should be okay. But truly, if it disturbs you then secure them so Sabriel can't get to them (which as she is kept in only one room shouldn't be too hard) and make sure she has new ones...

I've spent over 100.00 on little toys, and more on the slightly bigger ones - for Sabriel alone. That's not counting the toys I'd gotten Neka. Neka's toys had been in a bag, in a box, the bag was shut but it was plastic and Sabriel tore through it with her claws. For the record when I'm home before she would have her room and the downstairs living room to play in... I am gradually going to be letting her upstairs too.

I'm feeling judged for the way I have things set up here and I'm asking for advice (on the other threads), but my god I'm not a complete idiot. I wouldn't leave her without toys... :offended:

admin

Paige
Staff member
My bunny passed last April. Instead of getting another rabbit, I got Zeddie, but a few weeks ago I called her Charmyn. Two very different species...Charmyn never made the mess Zeddie does :p
I kept Charmyn's toys, and her cage is still set up (mostly because it is very heavy and will take manpower to get it to the garage). I was thinking about donating them to a rabbit rescue but I just can't bring myself to do it. I hope to get a bunny again some day, so I think I will save them for then.

Kristin, i am so sorry for your bunny loss :(

admin

Paige
Staff member
Brandy, I'm not sure why you feel judged...I don't see anyone judging you on any of the threads...all I see are people trying to help and give you advice.

Sometimes the written word is misinterpreted because you cannot hear the intonation of the words or see the expression on someone's face...

Brandy DW

It's possible it's how I read it - but I haven't read enough of Brigitte's posts to know for sure. Sorry..