Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charlie's eating his tail. I need a chew toy.

Kaiser891

Savannah Adult
Help! My cat Charlie is spending part of every day and night chewing on the tip of his tail. He's been doing it for a several months now. He sticks his tail down his throat and chews it until the last three inches of his tail are completely soaked with whatever throat juice is called. Then he runs by me or whoever and smacks us with this wet... thing. It splats - on your leg, in your hand, on the wall, on the floor...
Actually, it think it's kinda funny. But others in my family are not as amused.

Does anyone know of a recommended cat chew toy? Kinda like a rawhide bone that dogs chew... Is there such a thing?

I think eats his tail like this when he's bored. I had a dog that used to lick his arms when he was bored, to the point of them getting infected from the constant licking.

BTW, I have THE coolest cat on the planet! Charlie is awesome!
Thanks for reading.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If you think he wants a chew toy, then try the doggy ones... I know there are cats that enjoy them.

Is he chewing or sucking on his tail tip, do you think? some cats "nurse" on their tail, I think it might be like thumb sucking in a child, so more for comfort... and you may not be successful transferring over to anything else...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
His boredom, if that is what it is, may not be solved by a toy if he is craving interaction with his humans. Try playing with him when you see the behavior and also buy some interactive toys (puzzle boxes, things that are self motorized that he can chase) and explore other ways to engage his mind.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Do you know how old he was when he was weaned? This sounds more like tail sucking, which is similar to a baby sucking on a pacifier or their thumb. I would be very careful with rawhide, it's not a great option for any animal, but any other sturdy chew toy should be fine, if that's what he is really doing.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Help! My cat Charlie is spending part of every day and night chewing on the tip of his tail. He's been doing it for a several months now. He sticks his tail down his throat and chews it until the last three inches of his tail are completely soaked with whatever throat juice is called. Then he runs by me or whoever and smacks us with this wet... thing. It splats - on your leg, in your hand, on the wall, on the floor...
Actually, it think it's kinda funny. But others in my family are not as amused.

Does anyone know of a recommended cat chew toy? Kinda like a rawhide bone that dogs chew... Is there such a thing?

I think eats his tail like this when he's bored. I had a dog that used to lick his arms when he was bored, to the point of them getting infected from the constant licking.

BTW, I have THE coolest cat on the planet! Charlie is awesome!
Thanks for reading.
My F3 Chuju does the same thing, and has since he was a wee puss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free