Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Chewing its own tail

Hey guys,

Our female Savannah F5 have lately started chewing quite often on the tip of her tail. She does this while laying down with us in the couch or in our bed. Its not bleeding or anything (yet). She is 7 months old and is castrated. There is another cat in the house hold who she’s playing with quite alot.

Anyone else experienced this?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I had a DSH who was obsessed with his own tail, I waited 11 years for him to yowl in pain from biting too hard, or for him to lick the hair off, but neither happened.

Just to be safe you might check that there isn’t a sore or something there that’s shes worrying.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Is she chewing or sucking? Sometimes older kittens will 'discover' that their tails can substitute as a type of pacifier.

Is she chewing or sucking? Sometimes older kittens will 'discover' that their tails can substitute as a type of pacifier.
Hey Patti!

A bit of both actually, she gets it pretty far down the throat, but it doesn't seem to be a soar there or anything like it.

She have been doing this for a month or so now, she comes to lay down with us in the couch and then she fetches her own tail and starts doing her thing. I don't think she suffers from it but I am intrigued to know why she's doing this. Any ideas? She is 7 months old now and a very happy cat.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like she is doing it as a comfort behavior, just like a baby who lies in its mother's arms and sucks a pacifier.