Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Chewing on his bed...?

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Hi guys,

Leto seems to have a fascination with chewing on his cat bed. LOL He chewed a hole in it last night and dug out a little stuffing. Is this just a SV thing or maybe the bed smells funny to him? He loves to drag it around and wrestle with it, then drag it back to it's corner and rest! I hear him chewing at it during the night and just worried maybe he is looking for something and the chewing is a substitute. :confused:

Or does this go with the funny Savanna'isms? Like he likes some toys in the hall way, if we move them to the living room he'll pick them up and take them back to hall! Just cracks me up!

Thanks!

Ree

Savannah Super Cat
Both of my boys (F1 & 2) do this to stuffed beds and fluffy or fuzzy blankets. Seems like a comfort thing to me as they are usually purring and kneading while doing it. Ziggy has his own blanket that he's claimed with a few holes in it from all his chewing; this seems to keep him from doing it to other things.
Although I don't encourage it I can't help but smile when I see them dragging a full size blankie around the house! :)

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
LOL! Yea, I was thinking a flannel blanket as a replacement, no stuffing but certainly comfortable... well at least to me! :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's a cat thing, not a Savannah thing per se... some cats chew. Some cats inappropriately ingest things too so be very very careful if you notice this behavior that you don't end up with an obstruction.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/unusual-cat-cravings

I once had a SV that would chew holes in faux sheepskin or fleece...so we just replaced all throws and blankets and cat beds with fabrics that didn't attract her. None of my current ones show any such interest.

Treywi

April
Triton does the same thing with most of the smaller pet beds. He hasn't tried the new huge dog bed/pillow. lol Anymore it's a game I think, I put the beds back were they belong, he moves them right in a walk way area of the house. :p Silly monkey.

Ree

Savannah Super Cat
It's a cat thing, not a Savannah thing per se... some cats chew. Some cats inappropriately ingest things too so be very very careful if you notice this behavior that you don't end up with an obstruction.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/unusual-cat-cravings

I once had a SV that would chew holes in faux sheepskin or fleece...so we just replaced all throws and blankets and cat beds with fabrics that didn't attract her. None of my current ones show any such interest.
You are absolutely correct Brigitte!
We had a trip to the ER vet with Ziggy a couple months back for an obstruction. Never did find out what it was but he loves to chew so we have to be very careful what we leave around. All our kids know to keep their bedroom doors shut when they are not in there so nothing gets ingested/destroyed.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
:) The fluff didn't seem to be eaten, just pulled out of the new hole. :confused: I've gone over the house, just me and the wife here, and removed door stopped rubber ends, cover most cable messes with something... and toys have all small bells and attachments removed. Including the rubber cap ends to the feather teaser toys. I'm trying to stay very conscious of those small interesting things easily swallowed. He pulls off the feathers of the teasers but doesn't seem interested in swallowing them, just kicking their butts!

And Treywi... Leto has the same game, pull the bed around to a new place then look at us like why is it not back in it's sleeping place! He tucked it into the corner of the living room one night and seems to be his corner. The other night he flipped it on top of his turbo tracks and couldn't get it off and drug both around the living room! LOL

Figured it was a SV thing... but wanted to be sure he wasn't sending us some weird ass SV signel we just couldn't receive correctly! :uh oh: