Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Chocolate consumption

A

Alice

Question for you Per: I have a Siamese mix that is still pretty young and inventive... She likes to jump onto things, open doors, drawers, etc... Nothing is off limits. I bought a dozen cupcakes and there were a few left in a big box. We left it on the table, and before I left for work I closed it, but my boyfriend opened it later and had a couple. He closed the box, but didn't tuck the flaps in.
So while we were gone at work apparently my little girl decided to help herself. She opened the box (good with her paws) and I came home to an open bakery box and a half eaten red velvet cupcake! Looks like she also tried a little of the orange frosting on the other cupcake but didn't like it.... (Neither did I!)
So my question is, will half a cupcake kill her?? Should I do anything to treat it? How long before you can tell she hurt herself...? She is flinging her feather toys around and jumping straight up in the air so she looks like she's fine... but I have to check. :(
Darn cat will eat ANYTHING.... And she's smart too.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I think it would depend on how much cocoa is in the cupcakes, and in searching out recipes, most call for 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa. See if it is listed as an ingredient on the box. I am sure you know chocolate is not good for cats, and enough can make them very sick or worse....

I would keep an eye on your girl. Watch for vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea. You might even give your vet a call tonight or early morning (if they have an on-call after-hours number for emergencies).

Hopefully Per comes on tonight and can answer more for your peace of mind (and ours).

Let us know how she does! And lock up those cupcakes!

A

Alice

Ok thanks! There wasn't an ingredient list... But I would guess there was maybe a Tablespoon in there... So far no signs of anything out of the ordinary. I will call the after hours vet though (they know me well!) and see what they say as well. I'll keep you informed of how she is doing :/
And the cupcakes are all gone!! No more temptation....

A

Alice

I did speak with my Vet and he said he didn't think it was enough to seriously hurt her... But that it could possibly make her puke or have the runs... Or make her hyperactive! I said well it certainly gave her the "tail on fire" syndrome but thankfully no digestive issues. Sounds like she will be ok!

karenleigh

Savannah Super Cat
I am not sure on cats but I know it can be deadly for dogs depending on their weight and the amount. My beagle got on the counter and ate 2 full bags of chocolate chips when we left one night. They were put I thought high enough but I think my 100 lb dog assisted. I called poison control and went through the steps to induce vomiting and saved her life. She had no clue and they confirmed it was enough to hurt her. She also ate chicken wings from the table, beef flavored medicated chews, a whole bag. The chicken wings I could not induce vomiting because that would do more damage coming back up. I prayed she survived but she keeps us on our toes. Oh she ate a whole batch of bran muffins I made right off the table while they were cooling. Luckily it was warm because she was kept outside for quite awhile. She is still with us but is a gold fish when it comes to eating and currently on a diet. Glad to hear that she is doing ok and the vet was consulted. Hopefully all is still going just as well!

A

Alice

Wow your dog sounds like part goat! :) my cat is similar though, she will eat anything she can get her grubby paws on, and she can be persistent. I just got up and she still seems just fine :) so I'm thinking they are right, and she seems like she will be ok. The cocoa in the batter was a small enough amount that she didn't seem to suffer any ill effects.. Lesson learned though, we will have to keep something like that under lock and key.... Lol

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have to keep things in the microwave these days...Cinny is a naughty girl and seems to be ale to sniff out my hiding places...

I am glad your cat is ok...

A

Alice

I have to keep things in the microwave these days...Cinny is a naughty girl and seems to be ale to sniff out my hiding places...

I am glad your cat is ok...
We have stashed food in there as well.... Occasionally the oven... Though we have to remember it's in there :)
Lol very naughty kitties! I am really glad she's ok too! I should have known the cream cheese frosting would be too much for her. I'll put them in the closet next time and close the door....

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'm very glad to hear your kitty is doing fine, and that you did call the vet :)

When my DSH girl was a kitten, she found a half-eaten Hershey's chocolate bar in the kitchen garbage and ate it....she was very sick, and spent 5 days at the vet's on an IV. It was touch and go if she would make it....she got very dehydrated from the vomiting and was being prepped for a transfusion, when she turned the corner on the third day and got well. To this day she would still eat chocolate (and plastic wrap) if given the chance. On the rare occasion when my fiance has to have a chocolate bar, I make him eat it immediately or outside, lol.

A

Alice

Awwww poor girl! I'm so glad she made it! I do have pet insurance, as I just know she will need it one day...
I just shake my head that your girl will still eat it after all that..... Good grief!