Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cleaning house after FIP

AprilAnn

Savannah Super Cat
Wanted to know how extensive the cleaning of my house should be after I had a kitten with FIP??

I have wiped down every surface of my house, cleaned all linens and pillows. Vacuumed and cleaned all flooring. I even got new rugs and other household items. I threw away all of my cats toys, sweaters, food dishes and litter box (I even threw away the litter and food itself).

I was told that the virus can stay dormant for 4 weeks... I have also been told that I don't need to go this extent. I would like some more opinions from everyone that has actually experience FIP!

Thank you,
April Ann

AprilAnn

Savannah Super Cat
I also have an expensive cat tree that I have not thrown away. Should I toss it and get a new one for my next kitten. Or clean with disinfectant?

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
I wouldn't go to crazy cleaning, unless it helps you take your mind off of things. most household cleaners will get rid of it or you could use a bleach and water solution.you already did a bunch of that it seems. Id put the cat tree somewhere cold, like outside if the temperature is cold enough if your worried about it, but I don't think you need to get rid of it. FIP doesn't affect all cats, so even if the new kitten came in contact with something it's not likely you will have any problems. Don't stress too much. Even if you had other cats in the household, the chances of them developing FIP is pretty low even if they had been directly exposed to him.

Clean as much as you want though, it helps me when I'm feeling down. I went nuts cleaning after we lost our boy too and we have other cats in the home, everyone was fine. I went nuts though and bough a lot of Lysol disinfected and coated probably every inch of my house haha...

AprilAnn

Savannah Super Cat
I have had no other cats in the household, Tank was the only cat. Do you recommend a certain cleaner? I've wiped down everything with windex and sprayed Lysol. I am expecting a new kitten in a week or 2 and I just want to make sure she is going to be okay.

Do you recommend cleaning items my cat used to knead on? And is vacuuming sufficient enough for rugs and floors? Tell me if I'm being dramatic or paranoid! :p

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
I have had no other cats in the household, Tank was the only cat. Do you recommend a certain cleaner? I've wiped down everything with windex and sprayed Lysol. I am expecting a new kitten in a week or 2 and I just want to make sure she is going to be okay.

Do you recommend cleaning items my cat used to knead on? And is vacuuming sufficient enough for rugs and floors? Tell me if I'm being dramatic or paranoid! :p
I wouldn't say your being dramatic or paranoid, I was too! I never had to deal with any carpet, everything is tile or hardwood, if you would want to steam vac them it couldn't hurt, at least your carpets would get a good cleaning in general ;)

As for cleaner, I diluted some bleach with water and did the tiles in the bathroom. Hardwood, I just used pin sol. I went nuts cleaning to but you really shouldn't have to go crazy. Pretty much anything with disinfectant in it kill anything harmful. The virus from what I understand if being shed, shed through feces, also if he's had anything with his saliva on it make sure to take care of that stuff. You can clean anything he use to knead on or scratch too, Since his paws could have had saliva/feces on them.

But still, don't go totally crazy, preventative measures are really good, but I think most important is keeping the new kitten stress free as much as possible and healthy. Maybe even supplement her some l-Lysander here and there to keep his/her immune system in tip top shape. Like I had said, I have other cats in the household and everyone is healthy as can be even being exposed to it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Using something like Saniguard is always good, but leach/water or vinegar/water is just as good IMO...I wash everything now with vinegar/water, including my hardwood floors.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I wouldn't say your being dramatic or paranoid, I was too! I never had to deal with any carpet, everything is tile or hardwood, if you would want to steam vac them it couldn't hurt, at least your carpets would get a good cleaning in general ;)

As for cleaner, I diluted some bleach with water and did the tiles in the bathroom. Hardwood, I just used pin sol. I went nuts cleaning to but you really shouldn't have to go crazy. Pretty much anything with disinfectant in it kill anything harmful. The virus from what I understand if being shed, shed through feces, also if he's had anything with his saliva on it make sure to take care of that stuff. You can clean anything he use to knead on or scratch too, Since his paws could have had saliva/feces on them.

But still, don't go totally crazy, preventative measures are really good, but I think most important is keeping the new kitten stress free as much as possible and healthy. Maybe even supplement her some l-Lysander here and there to keep his/her immune system in tip top shape. Like I had said, I have other cats in the household and everyone is healthy as can be even being exposed to it.
Only ting I would hesitate on is Pine-Sol...not good for cats....

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
I do use a lot of vinegar and water too, but use both pine sol and Lysol, I go on kicks and switch back and forth. I'll just start using the vinegar and water though, I just hated the smell after while. Thanks for the tip though!