Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Clostridium

frances

Savannah Super Cat
My Sv F5 had giardia when she was 4 months old and had antibiotics then got better, but stool often a bit loose and smelly farts!
She is now 11 months old.
A month ago it got bad again and after pcr she was tested positive for clostridium only.
She had a course of stomorgyl for a week then got better.
It started all over again last week.The vet did not bother to send the sample to the lad beeing sure it is still clostridium.
He is for a row diet ,but I have chosen to cook chicken or fish with rice.
Yesterday she had a tin of Almonature (fish) and had home made chicken later on.
Last night she had very loose stools again and this morning agin with mucus, that she can not help,leaked outside the tray. This make her a bit distraught as well.
What shall I do next ? More tests ? My vet is quite busy and does not reply to my mails.
Could this become chronic , or IBS on the way...
Can I do more test while she is on antibiotics?
Thank you for your help and advice!

Trish Allearz

Did you treat for the clostridium? From what I understand, most cats carry this in their intestinal tracts, but an overabundance can cause an issue. I believe amoxi is what is recommended to treat it.

frances

Savannah Super Cat
She is now on Metronidazole for 10 days ,2 a day. (she started on last Thursday night and had 10 pills up to now).
This is why I am concern by her stools being quite bad today.

Trish Allearz

Ask your vet about amoxi- from what I've read up on clostridium perfigens (I think that's the right name)- you can use either Metro or Amoxi. Maybe the Amoxi just isn't helping as much as she needs.

admin

Paige
Staff member
But that may not be what she needs...if your vet is too busy, you should probably find a new vet...sounds like your kitten is sick and needs help...you also should probably not keep switching her diet until she is well...

She should probably be tested for TF...we have many threads on this subject...just type in TF, TriTrich, smelly poop, etc. and you will come up with lots of info...

frances

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you.
About the diet does it mean only chiken or only fish? Or can I alternate?
I will stop commercial tins and pouches.
:cautious:

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well, chicken is the best for now, but you need to give her more than chicken...she will need some kind of supplement and you can try some probiotics...

where are you located?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am in the UK ,in London.
Sorry for all my wrong spellings...Embarrassing!:eek:

No worries about spelling...we don't care about that ;)

Have you spoken to your breeder about this? You really need some advice from your vet or I would find another one...I will be back a bit later and I'm sure others will be able to add more to this thread...