Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Clumsy playing? LOL!

Paul B

Sorte
Does anyone else's Savannah seem to be a bit clumsy while playing? Especially if we're playing with his fly wands he is so funny sometimes. He will get in a chasing mode and be so focused on the fly, he will jump too far into the wall. Haha. Sometime when he gets into the mood to jump high, he seems to have a hard time landing square on his feet too. He ends up flopping on his side on his landing. I also read that the get "tunnel vision" when playing with these? He definitely seems to get that. If I move it too fast above him, he seems to lose sight of it until he hears it or I swing it back in front of him.

Arline

Savannah Super Cat
Yup, Dash is very clumsy when we play with his wand teaser toys. Sometimes he will land on his feet from a jump. Other times he lands weird and ends up on his side. He's not a real high jumper. About 4.5 feet is it for him. I try to stay away from walls because I don't want him running into them or hitting it while playing. He's always been more clumsy. He'll sometimes run into the sliding glass door when doing his race around the house. Other times he can make a turn on a dime. We'll see what others say about their SVs.

DChap

Site Supporter
LOL! So glad to hear these stories. Matojo is a bit clumsy too and I didnt know if I should be worried :not sure:

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Kovu gets extremely clumsy while playing. Especially with his shiny. He'll fall off the bed, or run into a wall, or even try to climb a wall. He was hiding in his cube yesterday that he had moved right to the top of the stairs, I'm assuming he guessed that it was a high traffic area so we would be easy targets. He jumped out to get me but I moved & he tumbled down a good 3-4 stairs. haha

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Paige, I think they often are so focused on the toy they forget about where they are going to land or what they are going to fly into!

Also, I've noticed that they are very graceful when they concentrate on a jump, but then will slip and miss the EASIEST of jumps (probably from inattention). And then they will look around to see if you noticed, LOL!

Paul B

Sorte
Hahaha, this is great to hear! I'm glad he's not the only clumsy goofball. ;) I've been purposefully keeping him at the edge of the bed playing so that he gains his boundaries and balance up. He doesn't seem to want to jump very high at the moment (maybe 4 ft or so), then again he's playing in a 10 x 12 room with lots of things to run into also, lol!

Brigitte, Sorte does that same thing when it comes to jumping. LOL! If he concentrates on jumping up onto something he does it effortlessly and gracefully. If he's in the heat of the moment though, he will definitely miss the easy jumps, LOL!

If I really get him going, he can be fairly acrobatic running around the room. I have seen him jump off walls and his cat tree sideways with all four feet to catch his toy (like Kronos, Alisha. Haha)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
One of our friends named our cats "circus kitties" early on in our Savannah days... the kinds of amazing leaps and twists in the air are so impressive :)

Arline

Savannah Super Cat
Two of the things that amazed me the most when we first got Dash was that when SVs sometimes jump, there is no crouch before the jump. It's just straight up without having to get momentum to do it with. Like they have springs in their legs. Hard to describe to anyone. You have to see it to believe it. The other thing that really amazed me was how much Dash would watch things. He even pays attention to the airplanes when they fly overhead. Not any of the domestics we've had ever did this. SVs watch EVERYTHING!! I thought these two things were the coolest.
B is certainly right about the graceful jumps thought too. And when they full out run, it's graceful and just incredible. LOVE watching my boy run. That's if he's not sliding into a wall or glass door. Doh!!! LOL