Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Coccidia

Lesley

Site Supporter
Hi guys,

We have a 7 mos old F6 SV. He has had runny stool issues on and off since we got him at 12 weeks. No other problems. 2 stool tests were negative and a round of metronidazole helped briefly. In the past 24 hrs he has gone to full on diarrhea, dripping everywhere and is confined to the bathroom. I took a very good stool sample ( stuck a pill bottle under his bottom and got it almost full) they found one oocyte in the sample. So he is on ponazuril for 4 days. First dose a couple of hours ago. I am watching him for dehydration but an wondering how long it will take for meds to get his diarrhea under control? Vet said 24 hrs. He's freaking out every time he leaks. Just wanted any advice available. Thanks!

Trish Allearz

Cats naturally carry coccidia. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that diagnosis at this point. Something is majorly off. Is he getting probiotics? As far as how long meds take, coccidia meds tend to take three to five days imho. Way too long for a kitty with this type of diarrhea.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Lesley

Site Supporter
He has been on forti flora for a week. He is not losing weight, gaining actually. Eating and active. I am keeping a very close eye on him. He is resting now. The vet had me treat our other cats with a single dose, but Spar has 4 consecutive doses. No one else is showing any symptoms. The vet said coccidia is not normally a problem for adult cats, but kittens have trouble fighting an established parasite with an underdeveloped immune system. They seemed confident this would be under control in 24 hrs.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Also, what would get this type of diarrhea under control? I know he might need fluids if he becomes dehydrated (don't think he is at this point, passes skin pinch test and is drinking) but is there something to manage the symptoms other then clearing the parasite?

Lesley

Site Supporter
Spar is currently 9.5 lbs at 7 mos. He has eaten a full can of RC kitten today as well. Appetite is unaffected.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You can try giving Spar kaopectate (make sure it is pet version with kaolin and pectin only, the human version has an additional ingredient that is harmful to cats) or add unflavored psyllium to his food.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Where do u find psyllium? Probably need something i can get in the city. As to kaopectate, is the non human version readily available? I am staying up with him tonight to make sure he doesnt need to go to emergency vet. He is ok so far, just bouts with diarrhea and leaking. Still grooming, eating, drinking, and vocalizing.

Lesley

Site Supporter
Hey, just checking in. I know its 321 am eastern, but Spar's meds seem to be working. He is resting comfortably with his sis and GI tract seems to be calming down. Tough day.
3y4ujage.jpg