Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Commercial Brand Question

Rachel03

Savannah Kitten
I will be getting my new little kitten this month and I am very excited! The breeder is currently feeding him a raw diet and I want to maintain that but I wanted to go the commercial route. I read the list that was posted and really appreciated it it was very helpful! I was also recommended by my breeder to a few other resources. I noticed that "Hare today" was on the top of the list and found that the prices were doable for chicken with bones and organs etc. My question is if I get a food that includes the organs and bones is it still necessary to give one of these supplements as well? (if so what one) Also, as far as variety would it be ok to feed him just chicken for a month and then say turkey or something or should I go for a variety right off the bat and alternate for him? Thanks so much everyone has been really helpful!!!:)

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I feed primal frozen raw for cats. They have a decent variety of meats, however my picky princess will only eat rabbit and venison. I thought maybe she would like a different brand, so I scoured this board and saw a lot of people really liked Rad cat as well, but Nyah wouldn't touch it. She doesn't like chicken, it seems which makes it hard! I actually got her Stella and Chewies cod and salmon, rehydrated it per the directions, and it stunk to high heaven. I thought for sure she would gobble that up, but nope. Sniffed and walked away to howl at the fridge for her primal. I have some duck, duck, goose from them too and will see if she eats that. If not, I guess primal rabbit it shall be!

I bought some canned Tiki Cat too, trying to get some variety in her life. I bought one seafood version, and have the chicken one (puka puka luau maybe?) I don't like doing a lot of seafood because of mercury, but it didn't really matter. She picked out all of the crab and left the rest, picky girl. Haven't opened the chicken one yet. I just hope she is getting enough nutrients if I can't rotate meats.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes you will probably need to add some taurine and/or other supplements, unless you are sure of the ratios being used...if you ate ordering grin hare today, you can email Tracy and ask her.

Take a look on this thread for supplements recommended.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

admin

Paige
Staff member
Both rabbit and venison are great, but very lean, so you may need to add some kind of fats to the diet. Or try adding some duck to a small amt of rabbit and see if she will eat it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

John Popp

Site Supporter
You can also use straight up butter to add fat content. We use it with our older cats who both are on a reduced protein diet. With the young guy we just make sure he isn't getting rabbit more than a third of his meals, as given their choice they would eat it everyday.

admin

Paige
Staff member
You can also use straight up butter to add fat content. We use it with our older cats who both are on a reduced protein diet. With the young guy we just make sure he isn't getting rabbit more than a third of his meals, as given their choice they would eat it everyday.
Zuri and Cinny eat it every day when they are on a rabbit kick, so I have to compensate with some canned food as well...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Zuri and Cinny eat it every day when they are on a rabbit kick, so I have to compensate with some canned food as well...

Chongo's bags of raw last about a day and a half. After a bag of rabbit I can count on whatever food they get next lasting two days. There is definitely a brief hunger strike after the rabbit.