Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Conflicting info regarding vaccines and anesthesia....help

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
please, I'm looking for facts, not opinions...published peer reviewed papers would be a great resource to share here

I contacted two vets in my area regarding vaccines, and I was told that for my F5 Savannah, they are instructed to proceed (treat, vaccinate etc.) as if they were dealing with a domestic shorthair. I'm going to be getting an F4 later this week. Im taking my F5 in Monday for my first vet appt. I've still not received the vet info from the breeder. Very disappointed, took my money, sent me cat, and nothing else but promises to send the paperwork now for two weeks. Anyhow, please help. I'm getting conflicting information everywhere I go. So, for F4/F5, does it really matter regarding vaccines or anesthesia? Are the "no no"'s for the F1/F2 only, or also for F4/F5?

Please consider emailing me directly as I'm very new to chat rooms and am not sure I could find my way back to this later...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm in agreement with your vets, you should treat your Savannahs like you would any other cat breed! There are no published papers on vaccinating Savannahs... or any breed that I know of. What I can tell you is that breeders of all cat breeds have PERSONAL preferences on vaccines and whether killed or modified live is the best way to go...

Same with anesthesia, you will find cat breeders of all breeds recommending against the use of ketamine. My vet doesn't use it for any cat...not just my Savannahs. The issue is mainly that it is not a reversable sedation, hence in the case of overdose or bad reaction there is not much that can be done. With inhaled anesthesia you can remove the mask if there is a problem, with a short acting injectable like Domitor there is a reversal agent. This makes the sedation way safer.

Do you have a contract for your F4? That should mention how soon you can expect the papers. Two weeks is not that long if the breeder is waiting on TICA to send them... but of course it is better if you hear from the breeder that this is the hold up!

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks.

I have a small contract with my F5, but the breeder has already voided it in my opinion as she has failed to send me the vet papers which would allow me to see Vet within 7 days of receipt. It was supposed to come with the cat. Then she sent me an email saying they wouldn't let her send it. Then she said she would mail it right away. Then after a few days said she forgot and would scan and email it when she got home from work, then a few days later again said she would take care of it again as soon as she came home from work. Then I asked for even just a picture of it from her phone or anything, and she said, 'for sure, I'll make sure I do it today'. Now she is out of town and will have to send it when she gets home in a week or so, etc.

I don't have any contract with my F4 other than return if deemed unhealthy from vet within 7 days. As I'm getting her at 8 weeks, I will be responsible for all shots etc. I'm excited as we will get her the end of this week.

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
This will be the girl we will be getting. Can't wait to see if my two mate later on. Should be interesting. Won't be 'standard savannah' but that's okay with me! Clearly from my two, it isn't that important to me. My hubby would have preferred the 'typical standard' look, but so many look too much like just tabby cats, and I'm not fond of the tabby look at all!

image.jpg

Patti

Admin
Staff member
May I ask why you are breeding non-standard Savannahs without any papers? Do your contracts include breeding rights? Eight weeks is mighty young to be getting a kitten, especially if it has not received ANY vaccines. Who are these breeders you are purchasing from?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I was thinking very similarly, Patti! I worry for a kitten sent out at 8 weeks without vaccination... what breeder does that?

The black SV kitten is not non-standard though... maybe you meant not the typical golden BST but still within our breed standard in terms of coloring. It's just really important when selecting a solid black SV to have one that looks very Savannah in structure, else your cat just looks very domestic. It's harder to get that "exotic" appearance when you don't have the aid of the spotting!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Her male is a seal lynx, I think that's what she meant by non-standard...
I missed that, I saw the pic of the black one. So the seal lynx is the F5 she has already that didn't come with vet records nor papers? Is he SBT? Sorry... I'm obviously not keeping track of things...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Oh that poor baby. Released way too early from a breeder who sounds like a dingbat at best and sold to someone who thinks it's ok to just breed two cats willy nilly and can't tell the difference in look between a tabby and a breed standard savannah cat:down:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I missed that, I saw the pic of the black one. So the seal lynx is the F5 she has already that didn't come with vet records nor papers? Is he SBT? Sorry... I'm obviously not keeping track of things...
I don't think she's mentioned his code.