Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Considering buying an F1 kitten - does anyone know this breeder?

L

Logan Fuller

Hello everyone,

I am considering buying an F1 kitten from Savannah Cat Land, a cattery run by Kimberly Hoffman. (Her cattery's Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Savannah-Cat-Land/112101815509363)

Although the kittens posted appear to be high quality, the low price ($7000) makes me worried. Does anyone have experience with this breeder?

Thanks, I appreciate any help! I want to make sure I'm fully informed before I purchase my new kitten.

Logan F.

coco

Savannah Super Cat
i dread the day when f1s are for sale at sub 5k prices, as they are a unique and difficult to look after pet, i fear lowering prices will encourage too many implue purchases ( from people who like the look but have never lived with a F1), and subsequent rehoming of an "already difficult to rehome" cat

as a first cat, a f1 is a crazy thing to take on unless you are a working from home or dont need to work at all ( i spend at least 6 hours a day one on one, if you take into consideration the time she is near me and interacting its 22 hours a day )with coco, and am home with her all day, and this is just about enough!! ), a f3 or an f4 is more than enough for a normal house hold.........and less likely to be rehomed, people buy F1s because they are F1s and i fear that lots of F1s are purchased simply for this reason, not because of the cats personality and potential integration into your family ( for the next 20 years )............ they should not be a status symbol as i fear they are becoming.

Logan - your not included at all in this observation and its no critisism of your post, just a market observation...... you sound like your doing the right kind of research before deciding on a f1 and good luck with your search

L

Logan Fuller

coco - I completely agree. Even outside of the Savannah breed, I see so many people adopting pets while saying "well, I could always find a new home for them if I needed to". I wish more people would say "I might have to get rid of this animal later - I should rethink this decision".

Yes, this is a decision that has been months in the works and has involved a lot of research. I've had pets since I was very young (some very high-energy large dog breeds as well), and know the huge commitment that goes into owning one. Rehoming isn't even in the cards - if I adopt a pet, it's in my family for life. I have looked to be sure that this breed is legal in all the places I am likely to work/live in the future, and am willing to say no to moving somewhere where it is not.

This is why I am concerned about the low price of the kitten. I do not know very much about the Savannah Cat Land cattery, and they are most likely fine, but I want to be as sure as possible that there is not some other reason that the price is so low before I buy my kitten.

coco

Savannah Super Cat
coco - I completely agree. Even outside of the Savannah breed, I see so many people adopting pets while saying "well, I could always find a new home for them if I needed to". I wish more people would say "I might have to get rid of this animal later - I should rethink this decision".

Yes, this is a decision that has been months in the works and has involved a lot of research. I've had pets since I was very young (some very high-energy large dog breeds as well), and know the huge commitment that goes into owning one. Rehoming isn't even in the cards - if I adopt a pet, it's in my family for life. I have looked to be sure that this breed is legal in all the places I am likely to work/live in the future, and am willing to say no to moving somewhere where it is not.

This is why I am concerned about the low price of the kitten. I do not know very much about the Savannah Cat Land cattery, and they are most likely fine, but I want to be as sure as possible that there is not some other reason that the price is so low before I buy my kitten.
really youve never heard of one of the most famous savannah breeder on the net ???????????????

your breeder.............. well.............she has one of the best reps on the net for SVs, but please pretend your paying 20k for her, then forward think all your expenses ( my f1, coco has caused me about 12k damage this year in my house so far and its feb, i paid 18k for her, i have budgeted 100k for a couple of years for her.......... this is the important thing, anyone can buy one, thats not the bit that counts tho is it ?????????????? )

they are not a normal cat at all, they will never be a lapcat, they will never come to visitors, they will never impress your visitors as thy wont be seen and they will never thank you for the £10000000 you spend......

if you still want one, and your not a breeder or so wealthy you dont need to work, can afford massive bills and can afford replacing furniture every 6 month then continue bud

but ive never seen an owner who needed such basic advice on ownership, you should know all this, maybe years ago

if not, your not at all equiped to even think about ownership, let alone think about it

please dont, if you need to impress your mates get something your actually educated on, not just a cat youve seen on the net................ and because youve had dogs???????????............so what........what on earth experience does that make.........................

yeah i wanna drive a F1 car today, ive been driving a 1.0ltr saturn for the last 10 years.................. are we OK

WAKE UP PLEASE

sorry

L

Logan Fuller

I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from, or where you're getting these ideas about me thinking a Savannah is somehow a lap cat.

Clearly I would not be purchasing a $10k - $20k cat if I wasn't prepared to also foot the bill for damages/food/vet bills/etc, nor would I be purchasing a cat with the energy of a serval if I wasn't prepared to deal with its personality, dedicate my time to training it, and secure my home as best I can from damages. I think it's a bit naïve as well to think that owning an F1 Savannah, while absolutely a handful, is somehow orders of magnitude more difficult than owning several sporting and herding dogs.

As for Savannah Cat Land, if they are the "most famous savannah breeder on the net" (a title I think much more fitting for A1Savannahs, Select Exotics, or Drinkwater Bengals and Savannahs), then why are the only results on the first page of Google a Better Business Bureau "F" rating, their own Facebook page, and a link showing that the cattery was removed from savannahcat.com. To ask for further clarification is not only reasonable, but the only acceptable course of action when making a decision like this.

Are we misunderstanding each other here? I asked a simple and friendly question and am now feeling like I was personally attacked.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Yo, Coco chill a bit. Logan, I hope people with personal interaction with this breeder contacts you privately to answer your questions. If your instincts are telling you something isn't quite kosher, you should explore other options. I hope you find the right cat for you. We're here as a resource to the extent possible.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from, or where you're getting these ideas about me thinking a Savannah is somehow a lap cat.

Clearly I would not be purchasing a $10k - $20k cat if I wasn't prepared to also foot the bill for damages/food/vet bills/etc, nor would I be purchasing a cat with the energy of a serval if I wasn't prepared to deal with its personality, dedicate my time to training it, and secure my home as best I can from damages. I think it's a bit naïve as well to think that owning an F1 Savannah, while absolutely a handful, is somehow orders of magnitude more difficult than owning several sporting and herding dogs.

As for Savannah Cat Land, if they are the "most famous savannah breeder on the net" (a title I think much more fitting for A1Savannahs, Select Exotics, or Drinkwater Bengals and Savannahs), then why are the only results on the first page of Google a Better Business Bureau "F" rating, their own Facebook page, a link showing that the cattery was removed from savannahcat.com, and a link to a post on this forum where the admin warns against buying from them? To ask for further clarification is not only reasonable, but the only acceptable course of action when making a decision like this.

Are we misunderstanding each other here? I asked a simple and friendly question and am now feeling like I was personally attacked.
Logan, this is not the way we treat each other here, so please do not take coco's post as the way members are treated on this forum. we are a pretty friendly community as you have seen from other posts and threads.

Sue Armstrong

Site Supporter
Coco I am afraid you may have a very unusual F1 as I have been breeding them for quite a few years now and find that they are and remain very loving pets. Not one of my purchasers has ever had any of the issues you are complaining about. I am afraid you are the one that is very misinformed and coming off extremely negative and just plain off base.

Logan, I commend you for doing your homework, and yes, buyer beware. I think Logan has been preparing for an F1 for awhile now and would be an excellent owner.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Logan, welcome to Savannah Cat Chat.
I cannot speak to the cattery you are looking into, but I can speak to one of the others that you mentioned.
We have three boys from Martin and Kathrin at A1 Savannahs. Our F5 boy, Diablo, is the smartest of the bunch, and the most outgoing. If you knocked on my door tomorrow, Diablo would attack you (with head butts) the moment you walked in the door. Our F4 boy, Mickey, is our little cuddler. He is snuggled at my feet while I type this, and he sleeps in my arms every night. And I do mean that- not next to me, but with my arms around him.
Our F3 boy, Jarvis, is our independent boy. He loves to be around us, and he wants our attention, but he is not cuddly. That said, he is a total love; As I type this, he is sitting about 10" to my right, watching me. He likes to be scratched under the chin, he LOVES to play, and in the morning when he wakes up, he purrs for my husband Michael. He has also been known to commender a pillow in the middle of the night, and sleep with a paw in my hair.
Savannahs, regardless of F1 - SBT, are very special animals, and I think you are exactly right to ask lots of questions about breeders before you dive in. As you said, this is a decision for a lifetime, and your instinct to take your time and ask questions is absolutely the right one for you and for your new family member, wherever you find him or her.