Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Constant meowing

rtb

Savannah Kitten
Hi all .

I've recently been lucky enough to add a 12 week old F6 Savannah to my household. However, she has been meowing constantly (all day and most of the night!).

She's eating, drinking and using the litter tray. Generally speaking the meowing intensifies to a loud cry if I leave the room for more than 20 seconds.

Is this normal behaviour for a new SV kitten? Or something I should be concerned about?

She'll let me pet her which often stops the meowing temporarily but will not put up with being held.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You didn't mention how long you've had your kitten (congratulations btw!) ? It's pretty normal for a kitten (it's not breed specific) that has been taken from their home, their siblings etc and put into a strange place all by itself to be a bit whiny... and it may take a few days for her to settle down. Painful to listen to I know :-(

Sometimes you can find giving them some noise in their quarantine room helps, a radio for example...

rtb

Savannah Kitten
Sorry, I completely forgot. Just 3 days so I think she must just be settling in.

Her quarantine room is my bedroom (managed 3 hours sleep last night!). She spends most of her time hiding under my bed!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Poor baby is obviously very stressed by the change in home... it's hard to be patient but I am sure she wasn't meowing ALL the time at the breeder's place (or else I'd have hoped they'd disclosed that!) so it is just settling in and she will get better!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Congratulations on your new baby, rtb. She is definitely showing signs of missing her birth home, mom, and sibs. One of my SVs cried for an entire week and nothing I did consoled him. Then it was over. Is there a TV or radio in the room that you can leave on when she's alone?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Congratulations on your new baby! It sounds like she is suffering classic separation anxiety. Try to be patient with her, feed her treats, play with her with a wand toy, give her pets as much as she'll allow. Eventually she will begin to bond with you and realize what a great new life she has, and not miss her old life so much.

We'd love to see your new baby, can you post some pics?

rtb

Savannah Kitten
Thanks for all the responses guys.

Photos added as requested! :).

She certainly looks a lot calmer it the pictures that she is in reality. Still lots of crying and jumps or runs at just about any sound or movement! Giving her lots of attention and cuddles.

Hopefully she'll settle in the coming days.

IMAG0080.jpg IMAG0081.jpg IMAG0091.jpg

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Photos added as requested! :).

She certainly looks a lot calmer it the pictures that she is in reality. Still lots of crying and jumps or runs at just about any sound or movement! Giving her lots of attention and cuddles.

Hopefully she'll settle in the coming days.

View attachment 13357 View attachment 13358 View attachment 13359
She's adorable and chances are, the crying will settle down some. Of course, there is always a chance you have a super chatty Savannah-- they do indeed exist! LOL!